• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finally doing it..Ordering my gun kit Monday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vtsmoker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
As some of you know I've been coveting my first flintlock smoothbore. Well I'm doing it! Went a little out of my comfort zone skill wise and price wise but here goes. I'm really excited and a little scared :redface: . What you think of my choice?
Sitting Fox American Colonial Fowler
CM2 Maple stock fully inlet and cut to my LOP
Brass furniture
42" Colerain barrel .62/20ga. With site and lugs installed
L&R Queen Ann lock
Wanted to ask your opinions BEFORE I actually order it. Good kit with enough done for my first build? I see many hours of holding my breath trying not to screw up an expensive piece of wood.

Vtsmoker, I don't know if they offer it or not, but I would opt for Chambers Round-Faced English Flintlock, or Colonial Virginia Flintlock if available. But that's just me.
Robby

There are some things on his site that make me wonder: for one he shows a gun made with parts that aren't shown in the parts pictures. The gun has a round faced lock, the parts show a Germanic lock (wrong!) The butt plate in the parts set isn't the one on the gun, trigger guard is different too. No picture of the barrel so you don't know what you are getting, can't see the contour. Maybe it doesn't matter...

Good luck with your kit, remember to enjoy the building experience.

Everybody gets a little nervous starting a new gun. Mark Silver,(one of the best builders) told me that he does. Just take your time, go slow, and don't rush anything. If you get impatient because things aren't going your way, put it down and walk away for a day or two.
Then you'll be hooked like the rest of us.
devil-naughty.gif

if you don't already have a few books on rifle building, this would be a great time to get some. I would also recommend that you check out American Pioneer, which has an excellent selection of DVDs. And don't forget the great tutorials on this site.

by the way, if you don't post lots of pictures, a secret gremlin will be dispatched with instructions to pee in your touch- hole. (ever tried to get gremlin pee out of a rifle? ha ha ha good luck with that!) :rotf:

good luck with your build!

Everyone has their druthers...... Druther have this or that..... But no way I would use that lock. I would insist on a Chambers lock...

Plan on refitting the breechplug. I have had no problems with their barrel in the past ? 15, other than having to refit almost all the breechplugs. They apparently are machine fitted (not hand fitted) & the breech face is not usually seated to the bore correctly, thus leaving a gap & a place you cannot clean. This will eventually be a corrosion issue.IMHO

Keith Lisle

I've been doing ALOT of reading here and have read that L&R locks are not that great "out of the box". Was considering asking for something different but I really want a round face lock on this build. Have read Mikes building tutorial several times(Thanks Mike) but still nervious. I'll be posting lots of questions and pics as I go. If I get on your nerves please tell me.

First, as has been recommended already, get one or two books on building, unlike a plastic airplane model that comes with instructions, this is nothing more than a set of parts. Second, this type of fowler should have an English style lock, regardless of maker. The large Siler is Germanic, and he lists the Siler as $25 less than an L & R lock, which means it's not a Chambers lock. It lists having a fowler butt plate (sounds rather vague) I would also recommend Grinsdales book on fowlers for more info, and ideas. Remember, that you get what you pay for and there must be a reason it's much cheaper than everyone else. You might consider a little more research, and save up for a better kit like Mike Brooks sells, or a Chambers, or even Track.

Bill

Hey Vt,
Good luck on your project. I know the nervous feeling really well. I just started my 1st project about a week ago. As everyone has said going slow is apparently the key. The builders here have been a great resource for me and are extremely patient. Books and DVD's are also a great resource.
As for which kit to choose, that took me forever. There are so many good people/companies out there it was hard. I did figure out that a good lock, barrel, and stock are going to cost and so as others have said I do believe you get what you pay for.

all the best on your project.

fosters

Vtsmoker said:
I've been doing ALOT of reading here and have read that L&R locks are not that great "out of the box". Was considering asking for something different but I really want a round face lock on this build. Have read Mikes building tutorial several times(Thanks Mike) but still nervious. I'll be posting lots of questions and pics as I go. If I get on your nerves please tell me.

Chambers makes 2 Roundface Locks & both of them are excellent locks.

Chambers Locks

Keith Lisle

I find it interesting that Sitting Fox and Middlesex still sell product. Invariably it seems like the majority of problems people having trouble come from the low end/cheapest suppliers. Then they cannot figure out what is wrong?? Duh?? Go figure.

Save yourself a bunch of grief and buy part/kit from a reputation supplier. There are plenty out there that will give you personalized service and help throughout the build.

Okay start the slings and arrows. They probably cannot reach Montana anyway.

Mark

I was looking at a TVM fowler but the prices went up putting them out of my price range. Was going to get the TOTW English Fowling gun but the precarved stocks went on backorder just a few days ago and I called them about time frame. They said 90 days maybe longer so that blew that out of the water. The Sitting Fox kit is all available and in my price range. The parts seem to be quality brand name parts and I can get more of the assem. work I'm not confortable doing on my first build for a reasonable price. If these kits are poor quality could I please have details as to why? Don't most of the kit suppliers get their parts from basically the same places?

Thats why I'm here to get some advise. The money for this won't come along again for a VERY long time. This is a one time shot. I'm building this gun to be a keeper so I'm going to get something good. I'll be working 60 hr. weeks to pay for this for the next 6-8 weeks! I can add a little more to the $750 I have but not much. Should I make a different choice? I have till Monday to make my decision. I'm looking at other options on another tab but the numbers just don't work.

I understand your financial, and first build needs. The barrel, and stock should be fine, and even the L&R lock would be OK, but I would recommend talking with them about getting the kit without the lock, and then calling Chambers, and getting the lock from them. See how much they give you off on the kit, without the lock. The Chambers English, or Virginia with lifetime warranty is $135, and the L&R from L&R is $133, then figure $5 to $10 postage. I think that might be the best bang for your buck. I would still get the books if possible.

Bill

I understand your financial, and first build needs. The barrel, and stock should be fine, and even the L&R lock would be OK, but I would recommend talking with them about getting the kit without the lock, and then calling Chambers, and getting the lock from them. See how much they give you off. The Chambers English, or Virginia with lifetime warranty is $135, and the L&R from L&R is $133, then figure $5 to $10 postage. I think that might be the best bang for your buck. I would still get the books if possible.

Bill

Some really good advice here. I tried the L&R and will go with the Chambers round face from now on. I have used 2 of each and they are great locks. You might want to give Tip Curtis a call before you order. Just my .02. Bob

Do they say what brand barrel? Is it tubing? I don't trust tubing barrels.

Bill

Thanks for the advise guys. Didn't really get the answers I was looking for but got some good input. Guess I'll have to think about this some more before I make my choice. If I get screwed It will be a lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back