• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Jelly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
I am browning a barrel that is currently blued. I am figuring on sanding off the old blue but in the nooks and crannies- I am thinking a chemical blue remover might be better- does the chemical leave any sort of residue that hurts browning the barrel? If any of you have used a chemical- come out okay?

crocket I've used Navel Jelly to deblue several guns. It works so fast it will blow yer mind. Use a Q-tip in the small spaces n then clean the barrel real well,inside n out, maybe twice just to be sure. Barrel needs to be cleaned anyway before ya brown it. -Just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Thanks, I was pretty sure it would be okay but then in this hobby never assume anything, reason I asked. Thanks again.

Birchwood-Casey makes a bluing remover specifically for this purpose. :hmm:

Keith Lisle

Navel jelly and blue removers all basically all the same chemical. Phosphoric acid. It removes the blue and any other oxide but leaves a different color. That color is what engravers call, French Gray. The Gray needs to be removed with a fine abrasive or steel wool or it will effect the color of the browning to some extent.

I've used naval jelly on rust on several projects, and it does leave a dull grey in its wake it seems, at least it did on the stuff I had. It does work for removing bluing though, at least in my experience. I eventually went over to oxalic acid soaks for removing rust, but that is another story not involving guns.

Fresh squeezed cranberry juice should do it. It sure took mine off when the wife hung a string of popcorn and cranverries over it at christmas. :haha:

Well I'll steel wool it before I brown. I always degrease pretty good any way. Thanks.

Back