• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A most frustrating day........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope so Sir. So far this has been an ordeal. I was reading on Mr. Emig's site and saw where he could make every piece. He was very pleasent to speak with.
Macon

I'd send it to TVM first as they guarantee their Silers. It does sound a lot like a too soft frizzen.

I have 4 long guns from TVM, three of them with large Silers. One had a very stiff frizzen spring when I got it. I put my trigger gauge on the top of the frizzen and it took over 12 pounds of pull to it open. I bought a frizzen spring from Chambers and replaced it. It then took only 5 pounds to open it. All this happened after I had taken the lock apart and polished and lubed all bearing surfaces.

Since I now had a extra frizzen spring I took the advice of Paul V. and started grinding and polishing the extra spring until I had the frizzen tripping over at 2 3/4 pounds. It works great. My lock is more reliable and the flints last longer. I did the same thing to all my flintlocks and haven’t had a problem since.

By the way one of the locks also had a soft frizzen. Sent the lock back to TVM and they polished and rehardend the frizzen and I had the lock back in a week. Everyone makes mistakes and TVM is no exception but they take care of the problem right away.

For a new gun I would send the part in question (lock) back for adjustment. But, still, it would serve you well to learn how to reharden a frizzen. Lotsa ideas out there but is not hard to do. And most will need it eventually. (somebody's going to question why I didn't say "all" instead of "most")

Flash Pan & Rifleman
Good advice from you both.I had thought about sending the lock back to TVM but I have already sent the whole rifle back to them once so I decided to go a different route. I'll see what Mr. Emigs lock tune up is like.
Macon

Grease the frizzen foot where it bears on the spring. Use something like chassis lubricant "gun grease". Even oil may not work well.

If the lock came direct from Chambers and the frizzen is too soft then you need to contact them.

Is the frizzen too soft the frizzen will hang up when the flint cuts into it too deeply.

It is possible, likely even, the mainspring is too weak.
Its possible the cock needs to be slightly bent to put a slight down angle on the flint.
In any case the lock needs to be looked at by someone who knows how to make it work right.

Dan

Dan
I used white lithium grease on that 'foot'.I assume the lock did not come directly from Chambers as TVM built the rifle? Or at least I didn't order it from chambers? The spring and the cock maybe needing bent were things that Mr.Emig mentioned on the phone yesterday. Anyway he should have it by Thur/Fri so hopefully within a week or two I'll have a great lock back.
Thanks everyone......Macon

Macon,

Sorry you are having so many issues. I know you were looking forward to receiving your TVM. Hopefully when you get the lock back all will be fixed.

I've made good progress. I had a defibrillator implanted Sept 1st. The doctors don't want to see me for 3 months. Hopefully I'll be back shooting soon.

Take care and Good Luck!

V-71
Thank you for you good thoughts. Over the years I have sorta gotten used to having quite a bit of bad luck so I am not real surprised at the issues with my new TVM. But as you said......Hopefully soon it will become the rifle it should have been from the start.
I am glad to hear you are doing ok, do exactly as the doctors say and I'll say a lil prayer for your return to good health.You will get back to shooting soon! :thumbsup:
Alan

Back