• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#10 Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1858 Pietta, I am using #11 caps because that's what I had,I am having a problem keeping them on the nipples. I have tried pinching them but not happy with that.Am trying to locate a good/cheap source for #10 caps.Should that fix my problem?

I would call around to any local gun stores you may have near you. If they don't have any, ask if they can get them for you. If you try to order some through the mail, you will get stuck with a HazMat fee like with powder and it won't be worthwhile.

All the local shops say they have never bought/sold # 10 caps and were not interested in my small order.Just business!!!!!

Try using the Remington #10 caps, available from either Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's.
Pinching the caps as you're doing will cause you to:
a) Lose the caps at the firing line due to them falling off, and;
b) Possibly induce a chainfire as a result of (a)
c) Cause a cap jam. Remmies are more sensitive to cap jams IMHO than the Colt repros.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sho...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104701680;cat104511780

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased #10 Remington caps from Cabela's. Although they came packaged in individual tins of 100 each, they are only offered as 10-packs (1000).

See if you can get up a combined order with some of your friends an give powdervalley.com a try, that way you can split the shipping fees, I ordered several thousand that way an got them at pretty decent prices

Last edited by a moderator:
The nipples are probably too small. Get a set of the stainless steel ones from TOW that fixed my Italian Remmy.

Many Klatch

Use #10 caps. Also, some of the over-seas made nipples are just too small to begin with. You may consider replacing the nipples to Sure Fire if the #10 caps don't work.

I don't know if Wally World sells stocks regionaly, but up here in Michigan I can buy #10s from them, and I think I even have seen CCI Magnums on the rack in the gun department. A regionly chain called Meijers up here also stocks Remington #10s. I usually don't have any kind of problem with finding pistol caps. My problem is finding 4 wing musket caps up here.

Thanks everyone for your replies and info.Poor Private , my Walmart only carries 209 primers and pellets. Don't know what's wrong with these folks.lol

Back