• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting in my GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My question to you guys out there familiar with the GPR, should I wait until the bore gets worn in first before I play with the sights? I know from what others have said that the rifling could cut my patches in the beginning.

Na, shoot it and line up the sights to where you need'm.
As the barrel breaks in, the groups will get tighter and you might like to make a bit of a finer adjustment, but ya might as well dial it in asap for what's best for you. :wink:

I sighted in my GPR's when I found the tightest group. When the barrels broke in, they just stopped cutting the patches. May have to do a little fine tuning, but no big deal. You're going to love that rifle :thumbsup:

Memphis 1211, My GPR never cut patches, but seems to prefer a .492" RCBS ball (nominally .490") over a T/C .490" ball. Sighting in wasn't a problem per se, but the adjustable rear sight wouldn't stay zeroed for windage once I adjusted its elevation. (It moved from side to side.) Yours may display the same tendency. If so, a few drops of blue Loctite in the elevation screw area will cure the problem once you sight it in. Btw, the primitive sight which came with the rifle may be the better choice as there's no adjustment that can go wrong. I also find the sight picture is better with the primitive sight. Once you establish windage, all you have to do is file the front sight a bit to establish elevation.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed already prior to shooting the gun that the rear sight tends to move alot as far as windage is concerned.

I agree, shoot it for groups and worry about sighting in afterward. Let your rifle decide whether it prefers 2f or 3f, and dink around with ball diameter/patch thickness to find the best combo for your needs.

For what it's worth I'm loading my 50 with 80 grains of Goex 3f and my 54 with 90 grains of the same powder.

With those loads I sighted them both dead on at 75 yards, which puts them more or less right on at 25, and smidgen under an inch high at 50, and right around 3" low at 100 yards. I'm guessing velocities are +/- similar because trajectories are virtually identical. Differences would show up further out I'm sure, but it's academic because I'm not shooting past 100. Guys in open country load them stiffer (usually with 2f rather than 3f) and sight them in further out.

I speed the break in process by lapping the barrel with oiled 0000 steel wool, about 50 strokes. Followed by a tight patch with Turtle Wax buffing compound, about 50 strokes. Then a real good cleaning.
Five Lyman barrels all shooting tight groups out of the box without cutting a patch can't be wrong.
:wink:

HD

Today I got to take the new GPR to the range. I put 15 rounds through it. I only shot at 25 yards just to see what it would do. 70 grains of 2F, .018 Ox-Yoke patch with wonder lube and a .530 Hornady round ball. I did not do anything to adjust the sights, again I just wanted to see what the patches would look like and see how it grouped. First of all the gun was wonderful to shoot, fit really well. I shot three rounds of five. All 15 shots were 4 inches low of the bullseye. Windage was perfect, dead center of the target. All three groups of five were touching. My patches appeared to have tearing, but appeared to improve and seemed not to affect accuracy. Before anyone says anything, I do realize it was only 25 yards and the results might not be the same at 50 or 75 yards. I am just happy so far with the results and I plan on heading to the range next week to do some more testing and fine tune it for hunting. Thanks for everyones help.

You are clearly on the path to ruination! And a good thing, too. :wink:

Congrats. Great start, and it only gets better and better.

Back