• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap tins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put lube in mine. Dandy to go along with a few spare balls and patching material in each bag, just in case I forget to add a loading block when I head out the door on a hunt. Moi? Fergit something? :rotf:

If you're shooting a small bore you can drop several balls into a tin as well.

I have spare leather and flints, along with worm and pulling jag. They can hold a fair amount of small items. Cleaning patches, prelubed patches, etc.

tryinhard said:
What is there to make out of them besides a patch box?
I wouldn't make anything out of them. I would leave them as containers and put anything you wish in them. :wink:

I don't know ?
I actually find'm a PITA to open most of the time and rather inconveinant to store much of anything in.

But their just too handy looking to toss out, so I have a bunch of'm stashed away. Been using Dynamite Nobel for years and their plastic,,Whattaya do with those!!? :idunno:

I found that I can store 3 .490 balls in one I keep just in case I fore got my loading block. And 3 is more than enough for a days hunt.

I make "survival" candles out of my used Percussion cap tins. Here's how:

I melt some parafin wax over the stove, then take a piece of old T-shirt, twist it into a cord, and dip the fabric into the molten wax. The Wax cools very quickly and will hold the twisted form to form a wick.

Then,I pour wax into the bottom of the tin, stick the "wick" into the wax, and hold the top end above the molten wax with a set of needle nose pliers, leaning against the tin, while the wax in the tin cools. The pliers act like a Heat Sink, causing the tin and wax to cool faster. The wax will shrink back a bit, but I don't fill it to the top. Its not necessary. The bit of wax in the candle will give you a candle that will burn for many hours.

What I want is a bit of wax, and that wick, folded over into the tin, then a couple of wooden matches broken off so they will fit in the tin. I put the lid on the tin, then use tape- electricians, masking, duct tape, etc. all work. to seal the "candle" from moisture. WaLAH! I have my "Candle in a Can!"

The candle in a can goes into my day pack, or into a pocket when hunting without the day pack. They easily fit in the watch pocket that used to be a standard accessory to all blue jeans.

If I need a fire, its easy to get the wick lit with the stick matches, and you can build your fire by making a Tipi over the can and candle flame, out of any wood- even wet wood--- as long as you don't get stupid and douse the flame. Start with small diameter twigs, and slowly build up in thickness until you have a core fire burning that will easily start larger logs.

Let the flame and the wax provide the Hot flame to get the wood burning, and leave it in the fire.

When the weather clears, or the daylight appears, so you can find your way back to safety, pick the tin out of the ashes, and take it with you. It makes a great conversation piece, BTW. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I put screws in mine, brass replacement screws in case one gets buggered up.

I actually ordered some same size tins and use them a lot.

I also have some old ones that I would like to make a display for them.....

Back