• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint & Steel fire making for dummies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
123.DieselBenz said:
I sent Wick Ellerbe a email order for a striker . . . once I get it, I may have more questions . . . :idunno:

I don't know of any rondy's around here . . . maybe one close by, just don't know . . . how do I figure out if there is one around?

HUGE STEP in right direction..Wick will get ya a good'un...! then ya get sparks,,,now char cloth.......hmmmm got a clean paint can with lid..oh wait..you'll need a fire.... :wink:

I'll probably try some char cloth . . . but . . . I found this video VERY Interesting:
[youtube]5f9CjH7plps[/youtube]

Found originally in this thread http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/236931/fromsearch/1/tp/1/ down on page 5 . . .

But for some reason this thread http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/260606/ did not come up in my searching . . . but found it later, after my thread got moved to the "Accoutrements" section . . . Also a good thread for newbies like me . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well . . . I did it!

I made some char cloth on my gas grill . . . a couple of weeks ago . . . it didn't get hot enough, so today I took my grill apart and cleaned it . . . cranked the burners up, and finely got the grey T shirt from the brown it was, to black!

I struck my flint with the flint and caught a spark after a few trys in my Arizona room (kinda like a porch) . . . I decided since my truck was broke down, I would go down to the desert where I shoot and see if I could start a fire!

I collected up some dead grass . . . broke up some sticks . . .

[youtube]1xFksBUkOfI[/youtube]

Thank you all!

That's awesome!

I was taught how and once I did it with no bloody knuckles, I felt good!

Last Rendezvous I did it less than required 30 seconds and got a point on my card! 24.xx seconds! I was happy!

Great video and you did a great job with the wind!

WOW! 30 seconds! That is quite a feat! Is that to burning wood, or birds nest on fire?

I'm quite happy with my two minutes! Especially for my first time!

I've been using flint and steel since I was a kid, and I never got into using it in a way that put my knuckles at risk. From my own experience and experimentation I believe that in period folks would grip the striker betwixt the first two fingers and thumb, then use the wrist to strike the spark. Gives more control and eliminates the risk to the knuckles.
Anyone else use that method, or am I just crazy?

I agree not to buy a striker until you can try it yourself. There are a lot of junk strikers out there that are poor sparkers. Once you find a good one, you'll know it instantly... and then buy 2!

Good luck and once you progress to charred punk wood, not charcloth, then you have arrived!

Hey Rusty, we’re the same age. I’ve been using them since I was a kid, as well and I never had a problem with cutting up my knuckles either. I guess it does have to do with how you hold the steel as well as using control rather than too much force- since it doesn’t take a hard strike to get sparks.

jbwilliams said:
Hey Rusty, we’re the same age. I’ve been using them since I was a kid, as well and I never had a problem with cutting up my knuckles either. I guess it does have to do with how you hold the steel as well as using control rather than too much force- since it doesn’t take a hard strike to get sparks.

I agree with this. Smooth, correct angle swipes of the steel down the flint age should drop hot sparks. When I first started, I was beating the heck out of my steel and flint. Then, once I got the angle right, it seems you barely have to strike it.

I have a steel, hand in the steel, strike the flint about a 45 degree angle in a downward strike, showers of spark on my Jute birds nest with char cloth. I've "heard" others nail their fingers or knuckles. I haven't.

I think it depends on how much coordination you have. I lay char on flint and strike works good for me my buddy doesnt like that idea he use's the flint to do a downward strike onto char and tinder.

It's what everyone likes and works I suppose. I've seen people use the steel and strike the flint in their hand and it works. I was taught by my buddy to strike the steel with the flint....

One rondy, some kids put some BP in their nest to speed things up and it went up in their face.... Too funny.

I have been most grateful to have a mentor in this new hobby. Besides this site, I've learned a lot from him and we work together here at the klink and have a ball shooting our guns. He is most patient and glad he let me in to show me the ropes so my inherited gun doesn't go to waist.

If you just want SOMETHING to use as a striker, and are not looking for authencity...a carbon steel hacksaw blade works really well- and you can break one into 3 or more. and they are cheap.

Nappers said:
One rondy, some kids put some BP in their nest to speed things up and it went up in their face.... Too funny.

When I first started this game I read in a book the old timers would work some powder into the tinder to make it kick faster. Don't believe everything you read. :nono: Took a month for the eyebrows to grow back an slightly longer before I got the feeling back in my fingers.... :youcrazy:

To the OP. Get a good flint and steel, bandages, and char-cloth and have fun. It all comes down to using the right tool for the job.

once you have caught your spark and wrapped it in your tinder bundle hold it out and above your head.
saw one guy set his beard on fire. hair makes great but stinky tinder. did one demo on a morning tv program. enjoy showing people the old ways.

Didn't Mamma ever tell you playing with fire will make you wet the bed at night! :rotf:

Congrats. Now lets put that in perspective you are with your trapping partner the date 1819 and he has been hurt and his life depends on you getting a fire going so you can Dr. him back to health. There is ten foot of snow packed in the trees that is beginning to melt and everything is wet!

Good fire skills were imperative to the person in the wild back when and they can be the difference between life and death even today.

I was asked to do blacksmith demo for some 5&6th graders. I asked them if the ever saw fire starting with flint and steel? So I went about it showing them char cloth and tinder/tow and how I strike it first strike caught the char had the tinder going up in flames in no time. They were impressed and so was I, because it usually takes me a few more strikes. Getting a fire going out in real world conditions in wet weather under stress would be a harder task.

Back