• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New TVM............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the day tracking shows "out for delivery" might be a good day to call in sick.. :)

I agree call in sick. I know its bad to back it up to a weekend, but you will be worthless on your job that day.

Seriously you have not one thing to worry about. My Dad is a type A worrywart and He thinks the guys a TVM hung the moon. He was actually hanging out in the Avance shop in Corinth last Thursday when your gun was leaving. He had told me about UPS coming by while he was there to pick up some guns. He didnt mention anything about them running out of 2x4's to make crates or duct tape, and certainly nothing like the 2 old cardboard boxes taped in the middle like my stock came in.RELAX

nmdd and T.O.
Sure wish I could call in sick Tuesday or even leave early but.......got a meeting with the warden right at the end of the day[3pm]... :( So I guess if they won't leave it...they can haul it back again the next day and i'll figure something out?
Macon

Is the UPS place convenient to you?

If so, call and tell them to hold it at the depot for pickup, stop by and get it.

Just a thought: If you have received a gun from TVM in one of Matt's sturdy shipping cases, you might save costs on a future gun you buy from him if you send those cases BACK to him( empty, of course :shocked2: :blah: :v ) so that he can reuse them. I am sure they set him back both money and time, making them, so any savings you can give back to him will be remembered, NO?

Unless I knew I was going to need a sturdy shipping case for that gun in the future, I would send mine back to Matt in a New York Minute, with my thanks for protecting my new gun from the clowns who handle packages in the trucking companies.

As I said, Just a thought. :hmm:

Roundball
It's only about 40 miles to the UPS depot so that might work.Just have to wait till the trucks get back in.
Paul........might be a good idea.
Macon

Just a thought, but once, I just missed the truck at home. I called the office and they told me where I could meet the truck at one of its stops, as it continued on its round.

HaHa.....T.O.,you are Correct!!! I can hardly wait! Might be tuff to sleep tonite,just wish I could take off tomorrow. Going to suck if I don't get it because of the 'adult signature' thing.Oh well, will either get it or not.Then will have to decide whether to drive to Chillicothie or wait till the next day and try to take off early enough to be waiting.Either way it's a Lot closer than it was 8 months ago!!
Macon

exactly. and you've got less than 24 hours to make sure everything is all ready, new rags to clean it, take down the family portrait over the couch to make a place to hang it up,flint,powder, prime, patches, balls, lube, cleaning jags,etc.sounds kinda like bringing a new baby home. the 8 month wait and all too.

Macon Due said:
"...it's a Lot closer than it was 8 months ago!!..."

If it was shipped like mine, a cordless screwdriver, or a Phillips bit that you can chuck into a drill motor, will be a great help.

And IMO, it would be a good idea to take the shipping carton apart carefully and save everything as you may need / want to reuse it for returning for warranty work...or in the future may have to ship it somewhere to get something else done to it...or ship it to a vuyer if you sell it, etc...bottom line it'll be very expensive to order / buy / have a new replacement shipped to you separately, only to then use it to ship the rifle back off somewhere.

T.O.
HaHa........all that is ready, balls cast, several yards of 3 different patching materials laid in.Patch lube,balls cast, 6 spare ramrods. 2 doz. flints, plenty of 3F and some 2F along with a couple pounds of 4F. A new shot pouch made just for it filled with everything needed.I have not made a powder horn yet but have 2 I made years ago. Have all my period clothes ready as well [for hunting].All cleaning gear laid in with the exception of a new range rod that is enroute from TOW. So......I 'think' I'm ready!
Roundball.......I plan to do just that. Store it in the garage.
Getting closer.......every second! :grin:
Macon

Mr. Due, Just heard on the news that UPS is going out on strike starting at midnight. tonight. :blah: :blah: :blah: :bull:

Vern

hey Vern
Guess they settled it .....cause UPS site shows it'
s on Truck out for delivery!!!.......HaHaHa.
Macon

Sir. I do really believe that when you open that box from TVM it will be love at first sight. I know that it was that way when I received mine. First time that I wet my pants in over 40 years. :redface: Enjoy it my friend.

Vern

Thank you Sir. I made it home just before 4pm and it looks like UPS has Not been here yet! So.........Hopefully he will be driving up soon!
Macon

Ok,the big brown truck has come and gone. Have the rifle but I must say...first impression is I'm a bit Underwhelmed. There seems to be quite a bit of curl under the finish [I asked for a red type finish] but the finish is so dark it conceals a lot of it unless you are in direct sunlight. I notice the finish is not a 'Shiloh Sharps' grade finish but I think I can touch up the bad spots.The worst are around the top edge of the buttplate,almost rough to the touch with nearly no finish at all. The Toe of the buttplate is a bit uneven as well [the actual brass]I did notice they forgot the extra ramrod I ordered with it. As far as the "Super" packing crate........LOL...the rifle was wrapped in bubble wrap,placed in a cardboard box,covered with shredded paper [what a mess] and then a 1"x2" board placed inside the box on each long side.That was the Super Packing Crate???...Macon
IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

Sorry to hear about the shipping carton with no protective crate.
And as much as you'd probably not "want" to do it...you can contact TVM and have them send UPS to pick it right back up and put the finish on it that you specified in the work order...and they'll do it.
Otherwise, if you're not happy with the finish mistake it'll always eat at you...and if you wait you probably won't be able to send it back under warranty, etc.

roundball
It may well be the finish I requested on the order....I had never seen one in person. In the pictures I have seen it is lots nicer than mine though. After an 8 month wait I really do not see me sending it right back though.I might see about stripping the finish off myself this Winter and doing it over? Do you think that just to lighten it up enough to easily see the curl it would be possible to rub back the finish with 4 ought steel wool?
No this is not to say I hate the rifle......far from it. Most of the brass looks good, the 2 inlays are super. The swamped barrel makes it handle wonderfully. The patchbox is very nicely done as well. In general I like the rifle but just disappointed in the finish. I could have done a much nicer job myself.
Macon

Just noticed that not only did they forget my extra ramrod.......they even forgot the TOE PLATE!
Damn.......now I'm starting to be a little cranky!
Macon

Back