• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Top Jaw Screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are these pretty much a standard size or do they vary by manufacturer and model? I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to have a spare on hand.

I suspect there could be differences...and pretty certain there would be differet sizes based on the size of the lock (small, medium, large).
I always get a few common spare parts for locks and my personal choice is to always get them directly from the lock manufacturer for the specific lock in mind.

When they arrive, I compare / try them to ensure they're the correct fit in case some 'parts picker' reached into the wrong bin and sent me the wrong thing...then know I have exactly what I need if/when I need it.

You just gave out a wise part to carry in
the ole hunting pouch. Lose the jaw screw
and your day in the field is over. That
would be a valuable spare part...thanks for
the idea.

lead487 said:
the idea.
I cannot take credit. I got the idea from this thread.

Top Jaw screws very in thread size, both inch, and metric for the foreign stuff. If you lose the screw you will also lose most likely the top jaw as well, and the flint. In fifty years of shooting I have never lost a screw or jaw. That said a flint and leather I have lost once while squirrel hunting, and do carry spare flints, and leathers. Proper prep, before you start your hunt will take care of this non problem, as you will probably notice your flint missing before you lose the screw, and jaw.

Bill

I'm still wondering how one could ever loose a top jaw screw? :confused:

The only time one was ever out of any of my flintlocks was when I was filing, sanding and browning the brand new L&R or Siler locks.

After they were finished that screw never comes out again. :hmm:

The other problem is, while replacing a flint yesterday in my daughters gun, the top jaw screw stripped, and so now I'm looking for a replacement. That's how I came acrross this thread. Even from the manufacturer will take a while si I need to go to the hardware store and get something that will fit in the meantime (another event next weekend).

while replacing a flint yesterday in my daughters gun, the top jaw screw stripped

That event is most puzzling and, I'm sure, very rare occurance.
I have never lost a top jaw screw or even had one come out accidentially. And stripping? Most of those screws have very sturdy threads, meaning low per inch count, deep and often square. The amount of force required to strip one would seem more than I can imagine. BTW, I have had locks from El Cheapo imports to some of the finest available today. What kind of lock is it?

This is a Traditions Shenandoah that is at least second hand maybe third. The screw, when removed, was actually stripped and bent (but not by me). Traditions said they have no more screws but will sell me thier last lock (per the e-mail) for about $150. L&R says the parts for their replacement lock won't fit the original lock mfg. locks, would I like a new lock for about $130? :hmm: Went to Lowes, bought two hex head screws for $.80, and now I have a spare and a tight screw that does not look PC if you look close but works just fine.

Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place. - John Bender

I can see it happening if it wasn't in there the whole way or at one point in time the end got booger'd up and someone ground it down to hit new threads so it was only in there by a couple threads. Either way, if you can't find a screw in that thread you can always drill it out and tap it or Helicoil the hammer to accept any thread you want.

I had to take mine out the whole way after I got it since it was corroded in place from years of sitting.

you can always drill it out and tap it

With an inexpensive lock, that is what I would do. It would not require a lot of experience or tools. You could make your new screw from plain hot rolled steel rod. Making/fixing on yer own gives a great sense of satisfaction as well.

BillS said:
Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place. - John Bender

Bravo.

(because those were the exact words going through my head farther up in the thread) :grin:

Making one would be a nice project, when time permits. But for now, the hex head screw has put the only gun my daughter can use back in commission for the rest of the season at least.
:)

TxRambler said:
Making one would be a nice project, when time permits. But for now, the hex head screw has put the only gun my daughter can use back in commission for the rest of the season at least.
:)

After the season then. Go for it. And, good luck to yer daughter. :v

lead487 said:
the idea.

Jeeze,,,you go out without checking yer flint to see if it's tight??? How is a jaw screw gonna unscrew itself a couple three turns anyway?? Sorry fellas, I ain't never seen that!

I spent an interesting weekend helping Mike Lea the Gun Doctor run his store at an event a month ago. We were talking about lead versus leather wraps on the flint. He told me that because the lead continues to deform the shooters continue to tighten the screw. Eventually the screw bottoms out on the cock and either the cock breaks or the screw strips out. Possibly your top jaw screw was too long and that is what caused it to strip out. Do you use lead or leather to hold the flint in place?

Many Klatch

On this gun (Traditions Shenandoah), leather for the flint (on the Bess I have sometimes used lead, but heavy military locks are different). But there was one or more previous owners and I can't say what they may have used. This is not a new rifle, but relatively new to me. Other than this the rifle seems to be in good shape, but have only used blanks for reenactments thus far. we plan to take it to the range this next (long) weekend. I consider a Traditions as a good "starter" gun, and it is possible that several folks started with this very rifle.

Back