• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

wads n' patches n' patches n' wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msuspartan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok here is a question that has confused me.
Fellow I know started laughing when I explained to him about loading a rifle and then about my cap and ball.
Why do we use wads for pistols (including single shots) but patches for rifles? :idunno:

Why not wads for both or patches for both.

Logically I see for cap and ball but he has a point for rifles.

Let the debate begin :blah:

Cheers, DonK

I do use a wad under the bullet with my hunting loads. We use patches in rifles when shooting round balls to allow the rifling to get a good hold on the ball and spin it. An over size ball is used when loading a revolver and there is no room for a patch. If a patch was not used with round balls the ball would roll out of the barrel if the barrel was tipped down. A lot of guys use a wad under the bullet and even round balls. It is done for two reasons. One is to protect the base of the bullet. The other is with a PRB and a heavy hunting load the user may wish to protect the patch.

The forcing cone on a revolver might strip away some or all of the patch and possibly jamb up the works. Plus, the ball is slightly larger than bore diameter and makes a very tight seal. Combination of patch and gas spitting out around the cylinder gap would loose a lot more pressure.

On the other hand, to get a tight ball fit with no patch in a rifle means you'd have to pound a ball in for 42", probably tearing it in the rifling during the process and losing any benefit. Plus it would be a pain in the butt and you'd need a heavier rammer; which means lugging that much more weight..

A revolver ball is GROOVE Diameter, not the smaller bore diameter, or the even small diameter ball we use with cloth patches. If you compare the depth of the grooves in a revolver barrel, with those in a RB rifle barrel, you can see how much shallower those grooves are in that revolver.

There is NO way you can patch a ball in a chamber of a cylinder and get it to consistently go through the forcing cone at the back of the barrel, then into the rifling, without cutting, and tearing the patch apart, and leaving it, or some part of it, usually in that forcing cone, where it becomes an obstruction for the next shot fired.

An Obstruction in a revolver can damage the gun, and the shooter's hand. :( :nono: Its not worth the risk trying this. :shocked2: :surrender: :thumbsup:

With a rifled barrel in a rifled Muzzleloader, we use Patched Round Balls(PRBs) that are usually smaller than the bore( land to land) diameter of the barrel. The fabric patch does transmit the turn of the rifled grooves to the ball, but there is never any direct contact between the lead ball, and the barrel if the correct patch is used, with adequate lube. The deeper grooves in a rifle barrel allow a place for the thicker patch to squeeze down into, to seal gases behind the ball, and to Grab the Round Ball sufficiently that the ball will spin immediately when the patch begins to turn in those grooves. That is why we choose tight weave fabrics, with high threads per inch(tpi) counts, such as pillow and mattress ticking, Pocket drill, linen, muslin, etc. for our patch materials.

MAN I love this forum!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

It is actually a breath of fresh air to read what you all write.

I never really thought of those reasonings as to why, I just shoot them. This also explains to me the theory to the action married to the reality of shooting.

It still amazes me the information you all have.

Thank you for the very informative lesson.

Again, I have learned something valuable today.
SO, it is another good day in my life.

Thank you!!! :hatsoff:

Cheers, DonK

Why do we use wads for pistols (including single shots) but patches for rifles?

This kinda threw me for a loop...
Wads may be OK for revolvers or single shot SMOOTHBORE pistols, but a single shot pistol with a rifled barrel should be loaded with a patched ball just the same as a rifle.
Even a smoothbore pistol would probably shoot better with a patch instead of, or in addition to, a wad.

but a single shot pistol with a rifled barrel should be loaded with a patched ball just the same as a rifle.
True, me thinks it's justa paradox of words,
Revolver-
Pistol-
6 shooter,
Single shot,
Handgunne anyone?

Jethro224 said:
Why do we use wads for pistols (including single shots) but patches for rifles?

This kinda threw me for a loop...
Wads may be OK for revolvers or single shot SMOOTHBORE pistols, but a single shot pistol with a rifled barrel should be loaded with a patched ball just the same as a rifle.
Even a smoothbore pistol would probably shoot better with a patch instead of, or in addition to, a wad.

Good catch Jethro...100% correct
:thumbsup:

Back