• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dangerous Custom Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Wilson said:
Not knowing when the photos were taken or how the damage happened, I can't comment on the photos.

The photos themselves contain the date they were taken. Images taken by digital cameras are tagged with EXIF data, this details what make and model of camera was used, the date the pictures were taken and other technical details about how the photo was taken such as shutter speed and focal length.

If the photos are modified afterward this shows up in the EXIF data where it is either erased or the 'Last Modified Date/Time' is updated.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/acornmush/DSC06488.jpg

Camera Make = SONY
Camera Model = DSC-W70
Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:02:25 21:37:06
Original Date/Time = 2011:02:25 21:37:06
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:02:25 21:37:06

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/acornmush/DSC06487.jpg

Camera Make = SONY
Camera Model = DSC-W70
Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:02:25 21:36:50
Original Date/Time = 2011:02:25 21:36:50
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:02:25 21:36:50

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/acornmush/DSC06474.jpg

Camera Make = SONY
Camera Model = DSC-W70
Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:02:22 07:00:23
Original Date/Time = 2011:02:22 07:00:23
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:02:22 07:00:23

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/acornmush/cid_219D5959424742F19DEDF9597C0AE844p4pc.jpg

Camera Make = SONY
Camera Model = DSC-W70
Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:07:11 07:35:14
Original Date/Time = 2011:07:11 07:35:14
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:07:11 07:35:14
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/acornmush/cid_ECA4CF83570146BCA3641E01A2D9BC9Dp4pc.jpg

Camera Make = SONY
Camera Model = DSC-W70
Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:07:11 07:43:54
Original Date/Time = 2011:07:11 07:43:54
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:07:11 07:43:54

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/acornmush/cid_8C2F5B34776345AF8F4D3836BB5EF9ADp4pc.jpg

Camera Make = SONY
Camera Model = DSC-W70
Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:07:11 08:53:16
Original Date/Time = 2011:07:11 08:53:16
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:07:11 08:53:16

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/acornmush/cid_9BC5CC4C5F0F431DB3FEDE1B35396E12p4pc.jpg

Camera Make = SONY
Camera Model = DSC-W70
Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:07:11 08:30:57
Original Date/Time = 2011:07:11 08:30:57
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:07:11 08:30:57

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read this entire thing several times and it all seems "funny" If I had waited years for 2 custom guns and determined upon arrival that they were not what I contracted for, whether it was the cosmetic aspects or the servicability of the gun,I would have sent them back immediately!. I have looked at the builders website and can not imagine a sane individual who cares about his business at all would of let this get this far if it was a mistake on his part! The whole thing makes no sense.Why did the buyer beat around the bush about posting the name of the builder of unsafe guns.And why hasn't he brought litigation against the builder.Not taking sides but I haven't seen an answer to any of these questions. I just hate that talking through a computer none of us will ever know! :(

In all honesty this thread makes me sad and question whether or not I want to get involved in professional building of such things.

Just today I got an order for a knife, ok not importaint but in the sence of this if after recieving the knife this person cuts themselves and then call me to blame me for the pain they recieved I would say send it back and I will dull it for you..... If they called and said that they didnt like the style of the handle I would say send it back and I will make a better one for you and someone else will be happier buying the one you didnt want.

Now on the condition of the bores and such You all had them for about 6 months, Ok well if you had seen imperfections in the barrel upon reciept than get it rebarreled but I believe after a certain time period its up to you to be responsible.

The liner may have had a unseen defect that no one would have seen coming like the damascus barrels.......

Honestly what I think this thread has done will be felt long after today. A new member my age might see it and give up on this sport and then anyone down the road that they run into they will tell them what kind of experience they had here. This sport is a dieing breed that needs to draw people back in not send them to heck in a handbasket.

Overall starting this thread was a dumb move in my book. This matter should have been handled in small claims court rather than on a public forum. My mom watches judge judy enough I dont spend time on here to see the same kind of manure. And on top of all of it you all were dumb enough to put it on this public forum where the conversation is recorded forever so If Gobbler Knob wants to sue over this deformation of character they could and you all have given them a magnum load so to speak to destroy you in court.

Gobbler Knob offered to make things right, you wouldnt let them, well its your own problem now. You didnt need to draw the community in on this.....

This whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

I appologise for my rant....

Now for the builder side

I dont like the side plates they just look to bulky and undefined for my tastes

If the guns were supposed to be similar then why arent the butts the same?

If I was buying and was dissatisfied I would send the gun back to get a refund I would demand that the money be sent first then send the gun back ok but if the builder said send it back and you will get your money when I sell it. This automaticly makes me think fraud and shotty craftsmanship which in reality these guns look wonderful but due to possible bad word choice may have started this whole ordeal
just my 2 cents

Is it just me or...

When you look at the pictures provided of the threading/lack of in the flash hole where the liner blew out of, why is it that the threads are darkened and have a little rust in between them, and the blown out hole is as shiny as when I polished my pan using my dremel? That isnt merely blown out, it looks POLISHED, and there is a difference. I am not a machinist, and dont have nearly the experience of many here, but could some of you with more and better training than I have please take a close look and tell me if I am way off, or maybe on to something? Thanks.

now that is just cool... :thumbsup: always learn something new.

Doesn't that first picture look an awful lot like the inner bark of a tree(tinder),just an observation? Still can't believe a good builder would call that browning,just another observation. That code on those pictures is cool alright,darn shame it really doesn't tell us if that is the actual gun in question!That would really be handy to know before the lynching! Those pictures could be of any gun. If we assume those pictures of the gun are really the gun in question,we make a mistake as none of us were there. We only have their word.And if we take what the builder has said for gospel we are making the same mistake.Like odd fellow said this is a shame! It's a darn shame that this whole situation was ever was posted on here, as nobody has any way of knowing what is what.If the builder is wrong all well and good but if he's not,damage has still been done to him with this post that will be hard to correct. And if it is the buyer who is right or wrong he has opened up a can of worms.Kind of like a jury of invisible peers judging us!

So am I reading it right, five months later the vent liner blew out?

From the picture times.. just under 5 months it appears..

The problem I see here is this thread started out one thing and ended up another. This thread should have only been about and focused on the vent liner which let go. Unfortunately every other grievance that went along with this double build was also brought to light, which like it or not has nothing to do with the vent liner issue. In a court of law, yes I know this is not a court of law but if it were, every grievance that these men had at the time they decided to keep these two guns are null and void. In a court of law a judge would not allow any of that to be mentioned during the vent liner issue that took place much later.

Thanks Roy,

Us older eyes have a hard time reconstructing that kind of data....

So 5 months later , folks.... After accepting and unpacking the guns.

RR_Raptor65 said:
Jack Wilson said:
Not knowing when the photos were taken or how the damage happened, I can't comment on the photos.

The photos themselves contain the date they were taken. Images taken by digital cameras are tagged with EXIF data, this details what make and model of camera was used, the date the pictures were taken and other technical details about how the photo was taken such as shutter speed and focal length.
Looking at a photo of mine on Photobucket, all I see is this:

Photo info
File Name: Tent23.jpg (Edit)
File Size: 520 kb - 800 x 600
Resolution: 800 x 600

Where are you getting all that other data?

Eellows,
This is not in response to any one person nor is it another opinion but I have to speak up. I jumped in before GK spoke up and I also backed off when he did speak up, now I think the thread has run its course. Every comment echoes the previous comment and all are based on speculation and insinuation. It appears the this whole thing has just grown like Topsy with no direction and certainly no conclusion. This is nobodys business but the buyers and seller and we should let them fiqure out how to handle it. I think I will just back off the forum until more meaningful conversation can be had than what is someone else's business.
Mark

I don't think they are looking for their money back, they are warning other buyers.. good or bad it is what it is. It seems they finally settled on an agreement and then the liner let loose. Sort of the final straw. We have seen this very thing on posts about other builders.. Un-shootable barrels, seams down the barrels, breech plug 1/4" shorter than the threads...

Roy said:
I don't think they are looking for their money back, they are warning other buyers.. good or bad it is what it is. It seems they finally settled on an agreement and then the liner let loose. Sort of the final straw. We have seen this very thing on posts about other builders.. Un-shootable barrels, seams down the barrels, breech plug 1/4" shorter than the threads...
So, without having any facts, you're saying that this builder fits in that category. Maybe your turn as a builder will come? All it takes is for a dissatisfied customer to post here so everyone can pile on.

Rifleman1776 said:
flintlock62 said:
Actually, slander is a punishable crime. We should all know this.

It is a civil matter that would have to be proven court along with proof there was intent of malice included. Not easy to do.

There is proof. The posts are right here on this site.

Don't seem fair to put him in that category. Interesting that you are a competitor in his field,just saying. In our country aren't we innocent until proven guilty,even gun builders!

Not saying anything with out facts.. it is what it is and Yes I could just as easily be attacked on an open forum. So far I have not and my work speaks for itself.. well there was that time when redwing was saying that my work was no good because I didn't line up my screw slots on a topic of a very nicely built gun that Birddog6 had built... but redwing doesn't own one of my builds that I know of. Anyway I don't recall such a backlash of people calling each other out as I have seen on this thread about what they received obviously bad blood between the two parties.. Feel free prove DoubleDuece 1 and Acorn Mush wrong and buy guns from GobblerKnob :thumbsup: That's all it takes to restore his name if you feel it was tarnished. Personally I think there was a serious lack of communication between the two. :v

He isn't a competitor at all. :v I am not in a contest. I just think that its a bit harsh to say some one is lying or that some one sabotaged their gun to malfunction.. :youcrazy:

Actually its not that simple! If it was a lack of communication why did it get this far. This whole topic is manure,and just like a bucket of that the more its stirred the more it stinks.And why don't you prove Gobblers Knob wrong thats all it takes!!Actually it is no harsher than doubting the builder,did you see the build,or the guns unpacked! If not you have no more evidence that matters than we do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back