• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sighting in Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOGGHEAD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a couple questions. I have a new TVM coming and I read their "sighting in" recommendations. And I have a question or two.

It seems to me they implied that a 50 yard shot sighted in with 50 grains of powder hitting dead center. Will match the 80 grain load at 100 yards. Does that sound about right??

I was thinking about starting out with 80 grains of powder and a .490 round ball with a .018 lubed patch. Does that sound like a good starting load?? Or should I go with a .015 patch?? And a heavier or lighter load.

I realize you need to try different loads. And I will. I was just trying to find a good starting point. Then their "sighting in" instructions say shoot 50 grains first??

How do you guys do it??

I did just order a set of small files from E-Bay. And I do have a very nice, but fine larger flat file for filing the front sight. Tom.

I dink around till I find the most accurate load for a 50, then sight in dead on at 75 yards. With most loads in the 80-100 grain range, that translates into an inch or less high at 50 and 2-3 low at 100, perfect for my self-imposed range limits.

My starting load depends on caliber: 40 gr/vol fffg for .36 cal, 45 gr/vol fffg for .45 cal, 50 gr/vol ffg for .50 cal, 60 gr/vol ffg for .54 & .58 cal. Choice of initial patch thickness & ball size depends on rifling shape and depth, the deeper the rifling the tighter the combination. If you don't know the rifling dimensions, start with a ball 0.010 under bore size and 0.015 or 0.018 thick patch material. I use a dry lubed patch and a swabbed barrel for all shots during load development.

As you have seen, there are a lot of approaches. I used to use bore=initial trial charge then work up from there with a variety of ball sizes, patches, lubes, lucky socks, whatever.
Today, with high costs being what they are, that is impractical and not many people are likely to spend that much time and money on the bench.
Just start with a reccomended load for your caliber at 50 yards using soft pure lead round ball and reccomended patch/lubes. Tinker from there. If you are strictly a target shooter, I suggest you get your best grouping at 50 yards and learn to hold over for 100 yard shooting. For hunting you can increase your charge about 50% e.g. 70 gr. to 105gr) without suffering noticable accuracy loss. With time and experience you will find what works best for you.

Just a personal matter of preference...
I find it easier to sight in for 100yds. and hold under for closer ranges. I do more of my shooting at longer ranges and find the sight blocks out smaller targets when holding over. Some will sight on a reference point above the target for holdover but my method works better for ME. (your results my vary) :wink:

It seems to me they implied that a 50 yard shot sighted in with 50 grains of powder hitting dead center. Will match the 80 grain load at 100 yards. Does that sound about right??
Um, there is a school out there that suscribes to the "different charges for different distance", But like others I've found it easiest (and more accurate) for just find the one sweet group combination of charge an patch and learn the hold overs.

I was thinking about starting out with 80 grains of powder and a .490 round ball with a .018 lubed patch. Does that sound like a good starting load??
Close, ball an patch should work fine the .018 might get cut up a bit when the barrel is new. A little heavy on the powder charge for starters, I think you'll be disappointed in the groups.
60 is a little closer to begin with for the 50cal.
Shoot a group at 60, then up it to 65 and shoot another group, then 70, then 75,,,5 grian icrements will show you what charge the barrel likes.

I realize you need to try different loads. And I will. I was just trying to find a good starting point. Then their "sighting in" instructions say shoot 50 grains first??
That might be a good idea for the first 20-30 shots if thats what they advise. It'll let you get a feel for the gun and not hurt yerself with heavy loads.
I don't know what barrels they use but most new barrels require a "break in" period before they start shooting really well. I don't really start fine tuning the load until I have 100-150 rounds down range.
Just remember to go at it slow and expect it to get better as you and your new gun get to know each other.
Dustins Traditons .50 likes 55 grains, the CVA MR likes 75,,Both use a different lube property on the patch :idunno:

+1 Just shoot for groups with varying charges until the gun settles down. You will know. The groups will close up. Then adjust sights for POI.
Spot on at 75-80yds means good enough out to 100 yds.

Back