• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a "RIDDLE" that's a riddle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt denison

54 Cal.
Reaction score
We had our club picnic this weekend. One of the members brought a squirel rifle that he has no information on. It's last home was in Indiana.

It has a .325 bore.

The cap lock says RIDDLE in a banner on the forward section and has what appears to be cast in enraving of a hunter with gun in hand (sort of a cartoonish character)

The markings on the barrel:

these are stamps, not engraved:

"POLK S RIFLE WORKS" Beneath that is
"BRYAN O"

Closer to the breach is

"No 5"

Trigger guard and butt plate are brass. (something fake looking about them) Set triggers. The lock does not have a half cock. The gun has been shot a LOT judging by the wear to the hammer and pitting around the nipple. It's in relatively good condition otherwise, no cracks or chips missing. I didn't look in the bore, don't care, and yes I checked to be sure it isn't loaded.

Can anyone shed light on the RIDDLE lock or POLK S RIFLE WORKS? Could "BRYON O" be an address somewhere? (Bryan, Oregon for instance?) Is it old or is it some bizzare kit gun from the early Dixie days? For some reason I am suspicious that it isn't very old.

Thanks for any info. We don't get to see many squirel guns out here in the Rocky Mountains.

I can be of little help on this but I'll tell
you what I have...A long time ago someone gave
me a Riddle lock,with the banner. Mine has a
half cock and a stirrup on the main spring...
It appears to be origional and later in the
percussion area...Thats all I got for you....
Wulf

Laffindog,
The only reference to "Polk" is a Robert Polk born 1790, died ?. Seems to be pretty early for a cap gun builder I don't think he's your man. Riddle locks are not to uncommon and are often found on what could be called hardware rifles, made for distribution by sporting good dealers, hardware stores etc.
Mark

made for distribution by sporting good dealers, hardware stores etc.

Thanks, Papa. That is my impression of this gun. A hardware store gun.

It has the stirrup hooked main spring that Wulf mentioned too. Funny that it was made without a half cock. At the same time it is well built looking at some of the details - full length soldered under rib. details of the rear sight, poured pewter nose cap. Odd that the sear bar has been bent at a severe angle but works OK. I'm suspicious that the set triggers may have been an after market and someone bent the sear to make them work. I'm quite sure the lock is original to the gun but would have to pull the triggers to know about them.

Laffindog,
It's not unusual to find a lot of the old girls without a half cock notch. Most of the half stocks were built for field use, not target work, and you won't find many fellows carrying a rifle in the field on half cock. At the range it's a different story. The sear bar might have been bent due to a trigger rplacement, as you said, it's hard to tell.
Mark

I see the Riddle locks often whilst looking at firearm auctions online. They seem pretty common. Also Riddle backaction locks.

Papa said:
Laffindog,
It's not unusual to find a lot of the old girls without a half cock notch. Most of the half stocks were built for field use, not target work, and you won't find many fellows carrying a rifle in the field on half cock. At the range it's a different story. The sear bar might have been bent due to a trigger replacement, as you said, it's hard to tell.
Mark

You don't carry a rifle (or any gun) in the field at half cock? How else? I suppose a cap gun you can lower the hammer on a leather pad over the cap as a stop. An unprimed gun is near useless for still-hunting deer, self-defense or grouse/rabbit hunting; and carrying it at full cock is dangerous. I would say a target firearm has less use for a half-cock.

Ft. Jefferson said:
And Yes BTW, there is a Bryan, Ohio. NW corner of the state.

Good information! That would help explain "Bryan O".

Since I first posted I had a chance to do a clean-up ie; I wiped the barrel down with an oily, hard rag to remove a few years worth of grung. I can now see an apostrophe between Polk and the S. So now looking for "POLK'S RIFLE WORKS". A google search only brings up this thread ha ha.

Laffindog,
I have also continued to look for Polk's to no avail. Bryan, Ohio was never a problem, it's been right there for a long time.
Mark

I own a original English belt pistol, all silver mounted and engraved, made in the 1840's (so called "Gentleman's Pistol)by a known maker, that has a back-action lock that was MADE WITHOUT a half-cock notch?? I've always thought that was unusual. It was obviously built as a personal protection weapon (belt hook). Wonder what their thinking was back then? :confused:

Back