• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred woods

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought Southarkrob’s Greg Christain built .62 cal. (Poorboy-style) plain gun. L & R Lock, steel thimbles and trigger guard, no butt plate or nose cap. I finally got out to shoot her and she functioned just fine. (65 grs. ff 7/8 oz #7 1/2’s w/3grs 4f priming powder), but I had to cut my session short (3 loads) with a stuck ramrod. :redface: I had a h*ll of a time getting it out but finally got it. After each shot I swabbed the bore with a split lubed patch and jag, but she stuck tight when I was running the patch out after the third shot. Now that I've got the kinks worked out and I pick up some #6 shot I'll get'r ready for those bushy tailed tree grizzlies next month! :rotf:

001a-1.jpg

002a.jpg

Woody

Hello

Nice looking piece. Too bad you didn't have a chance to shoot it more. I read in another topic and guys said that it is not recommended to swipe every time in smoothies. At least that's how I understood them. 5-7 shots or until get harder to load. Go through the smoothbore section, you'll find it. Oh, and I would ask experienced guys here about this nose cap, isn't this supposed to be to secure wood from splitting? Congrats on pretty piece!

Nice looking outfit...and good luck with the squirrels.

I clean up the bore after every shot when out hunting deer, squirrel, turkey, etc...rifle or smooth bore, doesn't matter...never know how long it might before the next shot and there's no need to carry around a nasty bore all morning.

PS: T/C made a few models of MLs that had no nose caps...Renegades, PA Hunters, New Englanders, etc.

Very nice Sir! I hope to have a smoothbore myself someday......[maybe next year]. "Tree Grizzlies".........HaHaHa.
Macon

very nice looking gun. good luck with the tree grizzlies. I dont have a nose cap on my rifle either. Its from the "poor boy" school as well. I know it was all I could afford at the time.

wild woody said:
I bought Southarkrob’s Greg Christain built .62 cal. (Poorboy-style) plain gun. L & R Lock, steel thimbles and trigger guard, no butt plate or nose cap.

Woody, very nice lookin' 20ga ya got there and your outfit ain't too bad either !
:thumbsup:

She's a Beaut! Congratulations and welcome to the Forum! You're gonna love your smoothbore's versatility. :thumbsup:

Nice looking smoothie! :hatsoff:

I roll the edge of my fiber wads in a mix of equal parts of molten beeswax, mutton tallow and Crisco. Not too messy to carry and when I squish the wads in they release just enough oil to squeege the bore. The next shot cleans up for the prior.

Fred,
Good talking to you this afternoon and welcome aboard. I took a look at your smoothie and it sure is a good looking one, ought to do the job for you.
Mark
P.S., My smoothbore doesn't have a nose cap either.

I heard Ballistol Sportsman's Gun Oil is ok for lube on fiber wads?? I have been using bore butter. I was also thinking of using olive oil.
I do have a large can of Ballistol on hand. Sounds off base to me but I have been out of the hobby for about 20 years! :confused:

Never mind...I did something drastic....I read the directions on the can :doh: Looks like I'll give it a try next time out. :idunno:

Will do. Might as well try them all...after all...any reason to burn some powder, right? :thumbsup:

Back