• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tennessee problem child

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJGROHS

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all I'm stumped, I mean really stumped......., I've been building rifles yes from scratch for 10 yrs sold most on TOW, now here is my problem it's my dads rifle he had built 35 yrs ago, got a douglas3x barrel, l&r doulbe set triggers( something ain't rightwith them) a small siler lock, here's the problem, I have to set rear trigger , pull front trigger , you'll here the sear engage , but won't fire untill I reset rear one more time, the touch main again then boomy, now this rifle hasn't been shot for awile untill last yr, and I cannot figuar it out nothingis binding any were. Just looking for some other ideas I haven't thought of, now it could be trigger set spring is worn, been thinking replceing the whole trigger assembly completely just wanted a few more ideas or possible solutions.

I take it the lock & the trigger will work OK with one or the other off the rifle, but not together.

The couple times this has happened to me, & just about a week ago, in fact. These were not L&R's, but it is worth looking into.

I had two problems.

Not enough clearance on the front trigger bar to sear.

And the spring on the set trigger was not tight enough. And especially so when you have to set it twice to get it to go off ? the spring pressure is too light on it. Take the screw down a half turn & try it, then a full turn if need be. YOu don't want any more than necessary on the set trigger as it makes it harder to set. But it must be adequate to totally disengage the sear.

Keith Lisle

I'll bet it's what Birddog said, set trigger spring is too loose, or spring is too weak. So it takes two whaps to fully disengage the sear.

Those L & R triggers don't come with a spring adjustment screw, unless someone installed one, so check to make sure the screw that holds the spring is tight. Also check to make sure no crud got under the spring, and is holding it up.

Those are pretty hardy springs, so it's not likely that it got weaker, but still a possibility. Good luck, Bill.

Another thing you get into once in a while. When you bend that triggerplate, if you put allot of arch in it, you loose that spring travel & possibly some of the tension at times. Thus you must relieve the metal under it where it hits & bottoms out, to get that travel back.

I use a lil milling bit for this on the drill press with a milling vice clamped to the table. You can do this with no damage to the drillpress with LIGHT work. But not to be mistaken for a milling machine & do anything but very light works & small bits.

Keith Lisle

Back