• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock duplicating

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoochiepapa

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Can someone please provide me with a place to start? An ancestor of Craft Jackson has contacted me about getting an original duplicated.

Thanks, Swampy! I haven't received the pics of the rifle yet, but he says it has a lot of drop to the buttstock. And Jim Chambers turned him down.

:photoSmile: :thumbsup: :haha:

A good builder can make a copy,if he is just looking for one.. If he is looking to duplicate and make several copies there are people with stock duplicators out there and even plans on the internet to make a duplicator.. :v

He sent me 13 photos of the rifle, that is owned by someone else. A very beautiful rifle, I might add, some what along the lines of John Armstrong. He said he would like to build it, but has no experience. He's 81 and Craft Jackson was his 3rd great-grandfather. I will post pics if I can figure out how to copy them from email.

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

Nice LR in excellent condition but is it comortable to shoot w/ all that drop? Don't think my chin would even touch the stock. It could be straightened out some but perhaps it isn't intended to be shot? Again, nice LR and my remarks on the amount of drop aren't intended as a criticism....to each his/her own....Fred

No offense taken. It's not my rifle, after all. But I would like your opinion. Don't you think it's along the lines of John Armstrong? This man wants to build it, but probably can't get a stock duplicated, because he doesn't own it. I'm thinking if he gets a pre-inlet for the Armstrong rifles, and a barrel 46" in length, he would be good to go. And in a small caliber.

Bingo!! What was the evidence to you? The lines carved into the top of the comb? Or the overall look? Craft Jackson of North Carolina.

From the ALR website.

Craft Jackson was a NC guinsmith of the Jamestown School 1810-1820.He was one of the earliest known makers of this school.

One feature found on his rifles is the stylized "shooting star" finial on the patchbox. This style of patchbox is associated with Moore, Randolph & Guildford Counties.The patch box is also side opening hinged along the bottom.

There is also photos of a rifle attributed to Craft Jackson shown with very simliar feature to the one shown here.

I agree...buy an Armstrong precarve w/ Armstrong furniture and it'll be closer to an Armstrong LR than the pictured LR, if that's what he wants. If he wants a LR closer to the one pictured, he can pencil an outline, have it enlarged to dims that are realistically full size and go w/ a blank. I've made 9 Bucks County LRs from one template that was traced from a LR in RCA 1 and have modified the butts for 2 different styles of BC LRs. ....Fred

ehoff said:
From the ALR website.

Craft Jackson was a NC guinsmith of the Jamestown School 1810-1820.He was one of the earliest known makers of this school.

One feature found on his rifles is the stylized "shooting star" finial on the patchbox. This style of patchbox is associated with Moore, Randolph & Guildford Counties.The patch box is also side opening hinged along the bottom.

There is also photos of a rifle attributed to Craft Jackson shown with very simliar feature to the one shown here.
Roy has pics of both rifles that I emailed to him.

Nah. But I just got an email from this guy after I gave him the info I had gathered, and he's going to give up. If I had the nerve, and I don't, I'd offer to do the rifle for him for nothing. But I fear for the outcome.

there is nothing on that gun that makes it any more intimidating to build than any other :confused: Unless you are strictly looking for a so called pre-carve.. Finding a blank that allows for that much drop might be fun though :haha:

Here at home, I make rifles the way I want. Like the one I'm working on now, I can change in midstream, and make a funky muzzle cap. Not too many agree with what I'm doing, but I make my own decisions. In making some thing to order, I have to follow lines set by the customer. I don't like that. And maybe some day I will have to, but right now, I'm having fun and learning from my mistakes.

Back