• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Newbie Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use FFFg for the main charge and the prime! You could use FFFFg for the prime, if you want to.

Thanks Guys! Matchlock72, I ONLY use Black.

What about loads? Should what I shoot out of my .45 Lancaster's 42" barrel be OK for the pistol's 9 1/2" barrel? Or would the loads be less to account for the size difference?

The powder loads for a pistol should be much less than the powder load for a rifle.

Black powder, or any of the synthetic black powders burns rather slowly and the patched ball would be long gone from the short 9 1/2" barrel by the time a large quantity of powder had burned.

Assuming your rifle loads are in the 60-90 grain size your pistol loads should be in the 25-40 grain area.

Also, because of the reduced powder load most single shot pistols use you can get by with using a thinner patch.
The use of a thinner patch will make starting the patched ball into the muzzle much easier which is a good thing because most pistols are rather hard to get a good grip on them while starting the ball.

I have an old CVA .45 Kentucky pistol. 20 grains of FFFg Goex, .440 ball and pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil gives me great accuracy at 25 yards.

I use the same load as Cowpoke in my CVA Kentucky. It's a caplock but the load does just fine.

Back