• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my "Brookson"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Swampy
I have not placed my barrel order yet
I was going for a full round
But after seeing how yours came out
I am re thinking my plan
Heck .....My barrel will have the two rings!
I like it / Very good looking /sleak/
and I will bet its light weight also.
just put tape to it, a guess-tament is good enough. Please discribe the taper if you have a chance
Thanks ahead of time
Deutsch

excellent job mike an swampy! now,,can that go deer huntin..or that jus military..or do we decide after we know about barrel bendin??

damn kid, you do nice work..! :thumbsup:

Rifleman1776 said:
Lookin' fine. :thumbsup:
Inletting that buttplate must have been tricky business. I woulda messed it up fer sure.
Enjoy.
I cut that buttplate out of 1/16" sheet brass. Inletted the top first then put the heel screw in then bent the rest of it down and put in the bottom screw then went crazy with a hammer for a while. Had alot of trouble getting the top to lay down properly. :cursing: I should have soldered a tab on the underside and pinned it, might have helped alot.

The lock is German/Dutch and could date as early as the 1730's. The buttplate and trigger guard are pieces that could have come from a french trade gun. Rich made the side plate which could have come from a french musket. The barrel represents a british fowler barrel and has british proof marks. This style of gun could date quite early, maybe as early as 1770 ish stylistically.

The first ring is 12" from the breech. Theres a 3" space between the second ring and the first. The flats taper into round starting at 9" from the breech. Hope that helps.

DSCF3634.JPG

DSCF3635.JPG

Mike Brooks said:
The lock is German/Dutch and could date as early as the 1730's. The buttplate and trigger guard are pieces that could have come from a french trade gun. Rich made the side plate which could have come from a french musket. The barrel represents a british fowler barrel and has british proof marks. This style of gun could date quite early, maybe as early as 1770 ish stylistically.
I was almost positive you told me the lock was good for 1730 but I wasn't sure. :thumbsup:

Swampy: The color of that stock stain really provides a nice contrast with the lock, barrel, and other hardware. Dam_ nice looking gun!! Congrats. :thumbsup: Rick.

:rotf: It was killing me....so I loaded up 90gr's of 3F with a folded patch holding the powder in tight and dribbled some 4F in the pan. Touched the very light trigger on it and BOOM!, kinda shook the neighborhood. :haha: I wasn't expecting that loud of a BOOM....ah well! :haha: Theres no problemo with ignition for sure! She went right off after touching the trigger. :thumbsup: Really lookin forward to sendin some balls down range now with it. :grin:

Since smoothbores usually have only a front sight, the barrle bending is to get the point of aim correct according to the shooters needs. Others will have better info for you on this. I know it sounds scary :shocked2: but it isn't that bad.

Swampy, you did a beautiful job browning that gun. I'm curious as to what brand vent liner Mike used. Mike?

No liner, I didn't want a liner on this gun. Mike instead used an inside coning tool I bought from Tom Snyder. :thumbsup:

OK, now I'm really curious. Does Tom Snyder have a website that will tell me more about the tool? I found an earlier post from Pletch about the tool but haven't found more info.

Back