• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a Gibbs at 100 yds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a belt maker at a local market make one. I have acquired others from friends who have had similar made at horse tack suppliers. I don't know anyone who makes slings specifically for the Gibbs, and I am in the UK.

Hopefully one of the US long range shooters can advise where they got slings from.

David

Hi,
recently purchased a second hand Gibbs 45. Took it to the range and shot it 100m yesterday. Used 80gn of 5FA with a 40 thou felt wad and the standard Gibbs projectile. Found it to be an accurate starting load - still have a little to go down on the sight bar. I think this will shoot very well. Using 45/1 lead tin mix.
Cheers Macca :wink:

IS 45-1 lead mix normal for these rifles that are used at LONG range? Ron

40:1 - 30:1 lead:tin alloys are commonly used here in the UK with paper patched bullets for long range shooting.

David

5FA is basically fireworks powder, 1/3 cheaper than 3F Wano. If it is socked to remove dust -it shoots very well. I pay $35 a kilogram for it - Swiss out here is $90 a kg (if you can get it)At longer ranges I would choose a better quality powder such as Wano 3P.
With a mild load (80 gn)I believe a softer projectile is needed so that it will upset and seal the bore.
Most shooters in our club use 5FA for muzzleloaders and typically the best shoot in the mid 90's offhand in 50m ( 13 shots 10 to count 1" X,2 inch bull)
Cheers

I second what Paul said in his quote about Dr Mann's book. 35 yrs of shooting muzzleloaders and BPCR confirms that groups don't get smaller at longer range. My Pedersoli Gibbs likes 95 grs of Goex Cartridge behind a 530 gr PP bullet sized .001" under bore dia. Bore dia bullets need to be "soft" 30-1 or softer to properly upset. I have found that a 1/8" wool felt wad over powder makes the perfect gas check to protect the bullet. Hope this helps.

Hey Guys,
I have a chance to pick up a Ardessa ( Spain ) Gibbs in .451, in very good to new condition ( it is used & has been shot) The asking price is $700
Is it worth it?
I do want a Gibbs type rifle.
Old Ford

This isn't strictly muzzleloading in context but Maj. Gen Julian Hatcher in the reference book HATCHER'S NOTEBOOK referred to .30 caliber armor pierceing bullets being better stabilized at 200 yards than at 100 yards and shorter ranges.....................watch yer top knot..................

For medic302
Its a pretty competitive club. At general practice (wed and friday afternoons) you are likely to see 8-12 breechloaders on the line. When they finish with those, out come the muzzleloaders. Comp days (every second saturday) we have 20-30 shooters on the line
Cheers macca

Old Ford said:
I have a chance to pick up a Ardessa ( Spain ) Gibbs in .451

The reproduction of a Rigby match rifle, marketed under the 'Creedmoor' name has been available from Spain for a number of years. Manufacture has changed from Intermarco to Ardesa and finally to Aral. If this is the rifle you refer to its outward appearance is as that of a full match rifle, with pistol grip half stock, and aperture sights. The rifle is however scaled down in size slightly from the original and consequently lacks a little in weight. The Ped. Gibbs is maybe 3lbs heavier. Good mid-range shooting (out to 600 yards) can be had from this rifle, however the larger charges and heavy bullets generally employed at longer ranges can result in felt recoil being uncomfortable.

David

Back