• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need Loading help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southarkrob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I couldnt stand it... and decided to shoot my new fowler off the back porch with shot. I loaded 70gr of fffg a over powder card, a fiber wad, 90 gr of #5's and a over shot card. I walk out on the deck and all my shot runs out on the deck. What am I doing wrong?? all of my stuff is from TOW and is for a 20ga. It seems to fit ok. Any suggestions? Thanks Robbie

Shoot only at elevated targets :rotf:

I use the fiber wad over the shot as well as it is a tighter fit

It seem that you over shot card is not making a seal in the barrle to keep the shot in. Try something a bit larger in diameter or maybe some wasp nesting. :v

Shoot only at elevated targets :shake:

I tried another shot with a over powder card, shot and another over powder card... seemed to work. anybody else do this?? Dont want to mess up my new gun.

It won't mess up the gun, I don't how well it would pattern though :hmm:.

What is the EXACT diameter of your bore? Not all 20 gauge barrels are the same.

My "20gauge" barrel turned out to measure .626-.627", not the normal .615". My bore is much closer to 19 gauge( .629") than to 20 gauge, and I have bought 19 ga. OS cards to use in it instead of the 20 gauge cards. The 20 ga. OP wads, and cushion wads work, and are "easier" to load because of the larger diameter bore. But, being thicker, and softer, they compress and fill the bore nicely. The OS card has to be bigger because its thin, and has to hold back the shot.

It also helps to use TWO OS cards-one on top of the other-- for these heavy loads of large shot pellets. 90 grains by volume of #5 shot is 1 3/8 oz. of shot by weight, nominally. That's a huge load for a 20 gauge- and more fitting to use in a 12 gauge.

For a better pattern, back that load of shot to 1 1/8 oz., or 75 grains by volume.

An equal load of 70 grains( 2 1/2 drams) of powder would be 1 oz. of shot by volume. That is considered a heavy load for 20 gauge guns.

You can back that powder charge back to 55 grains( 2 drams) and shoot 7/8 oz. of shot( 68 grains by volume) and most guns will give good patterns.

You can buy 19 gauge cards from many suppliers, or from Circle Fly directly.

ALWAYS measure the diameter of your bore- land to land in rifles-- when you take possession. I learned that lesson the hard way. It just is not always the bore( caliber) ga./diameter marked by the manufacturer on the barrel. It happens more than you can ever know.

Thanks Guys... I appreciate the help. I am going to back the shot charge down and try two OS cards. Will it hurt anything to load like this: OP card, fiber wad, shot and then put an OP card over it??

No it won't hurt anything. That's the great things about smoothbores. You get to experiment to see what works best in your gun. :v

I use 19 gauge over shot cards in my 20.

I have also used two 20 gauge overshot cards without a problem.

If you have any access to a dial caliper, you could measure your bore size. (Probably tell you enough.)

I don't like cards cause if your rammer isnt almost as big as the bore you can turn the caed before its all the way seated.I like natural wadding like wasp nest or semi dry leaves or a semi dry grass plug.

Try cutting your fiber wads in half (1/4" works best after lubed)) and an over powder card will work OK atop the shot if it patterns good, the felt wads may fit tighter or you can get a shoe box and a punch the right size and make your own cards, how wide is your barrel (outside dimension) at the breech 1"?, always carry the gun muzzle up for safety consideration, this is not like a cartridge gun where the load cannot possibly move, it will come to you in time you will just have to find the right "everything," enjoy the journey.

Thanks...are you saying not to put a OVER powder card then a fiber wad? but cut the fiber wad in half and put that on top of the powder then shot and then an OVER powder card on top of the shot? I am kinda having fun with it. Thanks for all the help. Robbie

I measuered my gun. It is 1" at the breech and the inside of my barrel measures .620. So I am good with 20 ga components right??? I really appreciate all the help. Rob

Some makers are not right on with the 20 gauge bore size but stuff usually will work, just make sure you don't have your load partway down the tube wwhen you shoot it is not a big deal to get a punch and make over shoy cards out of light cardboard/heavy paper (shoe boxish ) if need be for a tight enough fit to be secure with, as for complaining to the builder they all call their guns .62 bores not 20 gauge as that term was not even around during the period most of these guns represent,I have always been able to use 20 gauge over shot cards in the .62 guns I have had, they usually go down a bit spongy as they let air slip by if not pierced or nicked on the side, check and make sure all the cards are the same size.

You can put in powder over powder card 1/2 fiber wad, shot then over shot card or an over powder card some do not use the lubed fiber was but fouling can be an issue depending on load just make sure it is all tight on the bottom and not to heavy you can use at least 1 1/4oz shot with a .62 less may pattern better, there are many combos to try just keep it snug on the bottom and not to heavy as you find the sweet spot.Some use two Op cards and no fibered wad some use wasp nest or tow above and below the shot, like I say just be carefull as you go.

Latest posts

Back