• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What About A Mowery Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckr1952

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just wanted to pick your brains and see if any body could tell me about a Mowery rifle? I have the opportunity to buy a 1976 bicentennial mowery rifle for $350, it has never been fired.
Were these good guns, they were made fifteen miles from where I live.
I would appreciate any info you may have.
Thanks, Chuckr

Yes,I didn't think it felt bad,it's definatly diffrent. Is the Mowery a reproduction of a real gun or just a unique gun made by this company? I'v ben holding out for a long rifle but this seems like a deal.

Skychief said:
Sounds like a good deal, IF, you can manage the drop in the stock. Have you shouldered it?

I lusted for a long time and really wanted one, I wanted an Olney.

I went and picked out the one I wanted with cash in hand.

The drop was too much for my physical build, nothing wrong with the rifle, just size 9 shoes do not fit size 8 feet. Looks nice, but just does not fit me.

I have and will always want one, just won't work for me.

I hope you can find one that fits you.

They are reproductions I cannot say as to how close all the models are to the originals.

The rifle is loosely based on the rifles built by Allen & Wheelock in the 1850's.

Ethan Allen was born in 1806 and is not directly related to the Ethan Allen of Revolutionary War fame.
His gun building started in 1836 in Massachusetts and during his career he patented several of his ideas.
He was quite fond of the metal framed box lock guns and his company made many pistols with this form of construction.

When Thomas P. Wheelock, an employee of his company became a full partner in 1854 the companies name was changed to Allen & Wheelock.
That company remained in business thru 1865.

Chuckr...that's a great price.. ! ! !
the Mowrey is a copy of the 1840 Allen thurber...
They are exact copys if you ask my humble opinion. Fantastic shooters which can also handle
a short conical bullet since they have 1:48 twist.
I have a .32, .40, .50 at the moment...awhile ago I had a 12 guage.
You will get used to the drop in the stock....
I would jump on the deal you mentioned if I were you...The Mowrey's are getting far & few between//
and they are not currently being produced amd KITS are no longer available.....
Beware that the parts from a OLNEY Mowrey will not fit a DEERCREEK Mowrey. the deercreek lock parts were a smidgeon bigger....
Mine are all great shooters..

I type too SLOW,,,,Zonie beat me to it !!!kudos !

If you are interested in this style I think I've seen Wesson style actions on the internet for building a similar rifle.

OK,I ran back and bought it,y'all talked me in to it [but that was not hard]. I noticed the hammer didnt want to grab at full cock so I took the side off the reciver and a horse shoe shaped spring jumped out when I removed it. It seems like the spring can only go in one way but still does not want to set at full cock also does not stop at full cock witch makes the spring pop out. Any body got any ideas.

Your Mowrey rifle should have two springs in the action.

One is a thin V shaped spring and is installed in front of the trigger with the lower forward arm pressing against the forward inside of the cavity and the other end pressing back against the trigger. This presses the upper tab on the trigger (the sear) against the forward side of the tumbler to engage the two notches which are machined into the tumbler.
This spring is held in place by a small loop where the arms of the V meet. This engages a circular notch at the top of the cavity.

The other spring is a large U shaped spring with a loop on the end which engages the rear arm of the tumbler which in turn is connected to the hammer.

A small projection on the top of the trigger is the sear which should engage either the half cock notch or the full cock notch.
If the tip of this trigger projection is broken or worn it would explain why the lock fails to remain at full cock.

The only other thing that can keep the tumbler and hammer at full cock is it the full cock notch in the tumbler is worn or broken.

From the picture of the lockwork I'm looking at there is no reason for either spring to fall out of the lock unless part of them is missing or broken.

As I mentioned these springs are either a thin full V formed spring with two legs or a thicker full U shaped spring with a swiveling end on it which engages the tumbler arm.

If you need a new spring you might try calling Deercreek. They do not have a web site so the only way to reach them is to write or call.

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182

(765) 525-6181

I appricate the advice I belive I'm missing a piece to connect the u shaped spring to the tumbler.They had it tucked under the tumbler arm and it just kind of worked.I will try to find out the piece I'm missing,I have delt with Deer Creek before and found them to be very helpful.Thanks again for the advice,I'll have to owe you one! Chuckr

Sounds like the someone who sold that gun to you needs a knot pounded on his head. :hmm:

Well, no. I guess I shouldn't advocate violance but people who sell defective things pretending they are in good condition really pi$$ me off.

I can tolerate people who disagree with me on almost everything but I can't tolerate someone who intentionally lies.

Zonie I agree with you,everyone is entitled to thier own opinion,in the case of the man that sold me the gun I'll give him a pass I doubt he ever fired a gun and I like the gun.I also agree with your installing a knot on certain peoples head,I think in could be very theraputic for them.I find in very hard to be around a drunk or a liar.

If it has been unused for many years, there could be some old oil gumming things up. Maybe a cleaning with, say, denatured alcohol & then a re-oiling would help things move & engage properly.

There was dryed up bore butter or some kind of lube in the bore. I cleaned it with wd40 and brass brush, looks like a new gun.

I toured the Mowrey factory many years ago and always wanted one. I bought a .45 caliber once upon a time but my second ex-wife took it on the divorce. A couple of years ago I walked into a pawn shop in Corsicana and picked up a like new .50 Mowery with a serial number in the 160's out the door for a $100. I was born in Olney so just had to have it and could not argue with the price. Heck

how do you like the rifle? Seems like they are getting harder to find,I live in Wichita Falls and always wanted to check out the the place while they were making them but I was roughnecking and drilling on oil rigs, back then we worked 7 days a week,just didnt have the time. chuckr

They are heavy. I have not shot the .50 enough yet. The rear sight has a very narrow slot and front sight is very thin. My old eyes have a bit of trouble with the sights. My grandparents lived in Megargel so I visited them and toured Mowery on one of my trips back in the 70's. A friend had one of the 54 calibers and took it on one of our ML hunts to New Mexico. He did not get a deer. I visited my 2nd exwife last week and got to look at the .45 Mowery hanging on her wall. Wish I could get it back from her. Heck

Back