• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

More on stains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George91946

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I cannot thank all of you enough for the invaluable advice on these boards.

I've read all of the threads on wood stains, and looked at the professionals web pages, and finally settled on a Feibigs Dark brown leather dye for my next build.

Got everything ready to go, and found that California will not allow the dye to be shipped into the state. So now I've got to retread and make another decision.

I have a P3 grade maple stock on an Isaac Haines rifle in progress. Want to have a reddish undertone and not too dark on the stain.

I'm interested in comparing the Laurel mountain forge cherry stain and aqua fortis for this purpose. Which in your opinion would be my best option? I have aq fort and could order the stain, but I don't really have a comparable wood sample to test with.

Thanks Again.

Lisle George

As a resident of the great peoples republic of CA, you must realize that you are not allowed to be a danger to yourself or others with the dangerous chemical - ALCOHOL! That's why we can't get the Fiebrings leather dye.. However, you can get the water based dye from some suppliers and it does work well. You have to use the dye as a "de-whiskerer" as it will raise the grain substantially. The dye is very effective (I used it to ebonize an old CVA Kentucky stock (made from beech)n and very easy to apply. So, although the state is protecting us, in this case, the water based dye seems to substitute well.

Go to a leather shop or shoe repair shop & ask them to get it for you. Or if you know someone that goes out of state all the time by auto, ask them to bring you some in.

I would use a alcohol based stain if at all possible. It is far superior to water based when staining rifles IMHO, and it also is very easy to match back in if you have to sand out a place or whatever.. :idunno:

Keith Lisle

Oh my gosh,Alcohol! You can tell a user by the brown stain around their mouth, much as a white ring around the mouth from milk drinkers.

LMF Nut Brown is a nice brownish color with red undertones. LMF cherry just doesn't look very natural to me. I tried mixing LMF cherry one time with LMF maple and it looked purplish in some light.

LMF maple is too orangy for my tastes and it doesn't make the figure "pop" very well at all.

If you can't get leather dye in California, you sure won't be able to receive a shipment with AF.

Oh, they are. Just ask anyone from the other western states. It's like the Grapes of Wrath in reverse. Bill

Try to find a alcohol based stain or, as was suggested, a shoe repair shop.
Most of the "wood working shops" will carry the stains you would want to use so check out the yellow pages to see if one is in your area.

As for aqua fortis, you "takes what you gets".
It is impossible to predict what the color of the wood will be after using it because it relies on the wood plus the iron that is in the solution to form the color.
The color doesn't appear after applying aqua fortis until the wood is heated very hot.

bjmac said:
As a resident of the great peoples republic of CA, you must realize that you are not allowed to be a danger to yourself or others with the dangerous chemical - ALCOHOL!

Just to keep the facts straight it's not the just the alcohol that caused the ban, but the Toluene and other nasties contained in the dye that may cause cancer and other problems.
While I do not agree with the ban (I much prefer personal responsibility/common sense over the gov't controls), one should note that using such dyes and other goods made from those types of toxins can be hazardous to ones health, so use all precautions i.e. a good mask, gloves, lots of fresh air, etc. and check out the MSDS of any such products so your informed of the potential hazards. And FWIW - even the type of alcohol used in such products is no good for ones health - it is not the same stuff as regular rubbing alcohol or the stuff you get at the liquor store.
Case in point - after using Fiebing's dyes and other products containing such toxins for 50+ years on a regular basis, my liver is in VERY bad shape and that is not a good thing......

You could use Aniline Dyes. Most are water soluable, but would probably work using "feared" denatured alcohol. You get them as a powder so no shipping issues. Mix your own colors.

Colleagues,

Professional Gunsmiths with an FFL can order alcohol based
stains in California "For Professional Use Only".
Not impossible to get, but annoying, and you may have to
pay the HAZMAT fee to your gunsmith.
The notion is that professionals will take the necessary
safety precautions. (HAH!!!!)

Mainspring

Tandy leather has Fieberlings. I don't have any trouble getting any kind of stain here.

Thanks everyone I'm going to try Tandy's Leather.

I did the aniline dyes last build. Used a recipe that was similar to that posted on the gunbuilding tutorial. came out very well, but I want to try a more red based stain on this particular gun.

Appreciate the information greatly.

Lisle George

This is Fiebings Dark Brown Dye on this rifle. Finish is rubbed down Tru-Oil. I dyed it almost black with the dye & then rubbed it back with rubbing alcolol & 0000 steel wool, outside on a table with a bunch of rags under it. Have to stop about darker than you want the finish to end up, as it will lighten as you apply finish, rub it out, apply more, rub it out & etc. if you do it like I do.
This probably has 12 coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil on it & rubbed down after each coat after the 2nd coat.
After the last time I rubbed it out I put on 2 coats of Howards Past Wax. It is the best paste wax I have ever used on a rifle & will not leave white stuff in the nooks & crannies, as I use the walnut colored wax. Works great for sealing up the pin holes & etc.

Dsc09137.jpg

Dsc09139.jpg

Keith Lisle

Macon Due said:
Why in the world don't everyone just move out of that Hole?
Macon
Don't need any more Californicators here!! THere is a geat exodus to the west, like Snowdragon says, and I wish they would all go home. They try to change things the way they are where they come from.

Checked with Tandy's Leather and local leather shop. They cannot send or sell Feibig's leather dyes in California. So back to Aq Fort or Tracks stains or the aniline. stain powders that I've got from Birchwood. Will have to track some figured maple blanks for testing. Thanks All.

Lisle George

I got my aniline dyes from Brownells. They did a great job on my pistol build. I went back to Mike Brooks' tutorial (at least I think that Mike put that up) and ordered the Klein stains that he describes. I'll try that. I liked his finish on the tutorial.

Thanks Mike for putting that up. It's a great resource.

Lisle George

The Danglers Reddish Brown is what you want if you want a reddish color on the stock. It won't be as red as the Fiebings dye, but still a nice stock color & I have used allot of it with great success.

Keith Lisle

Back