• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C V A DRUM?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckr1952

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can you buy a drum for a cva 50 cal hawken? They all seem to have the same the same drum. Also how do you shim it to get the angle right? THANKS CHUCKR

You should be able to get them from TOW. The drum will come as a blank (no hole included). You will need the kit that positions the new hole at the right angle to drill and tap the new threads. Directions are included. It isn't that difficult to do.

DON'T SHIM!

Dixie gun works has the best replacement drum. The holes are all drilled and tapped. The only big difference from the original stock part is that the threaded shaft does not go all the way to the end like the original. Necchi posts a good cutaway picture of the CVA Breech for a reference. I had a gunsmith replace one for me and he cut the end from the original and threaded it back into the rifle to fill the void left by the replacement part. He then carefully filed the end of the shaft of the new part so the nipple hol;e would line up withthe hammer. If needed, the shoulder of the drum that meets the barrel may have to be filed down (not shimmed) also.

chuckr1952 said:
What is TOW an acronym for?

Sorry about that. Track of the Wolf . Their drum drilling kit is about $15. I feel that method is better than purchasing a predrilled drum.

By the way, if no one has done so. Welcome to our forum!

Your best bet would be to send the barrel back to CVA and let them do it, with shipping it is only about $60 for the job.

This way there is no question about the integrity of the work.

ApprenticeBuilder said:
Your best bet would be to send the barrel back to CVA and let them do it, with shipping it is only about $60 for the job.

This way there is no question about the integrity of the work.

The barrel can be sent of the the manufacturer, but if one has any mechanical aptitude at all, they can drill their own drum a whole lot cheaper!

Mechanical aptitude. Interesting, :yakyak:

CVA inserts a solid plug and drills from the muzzle down, that insures that the contact surfaces are correctly mated, no gaps. :hmm:

As another poster stated that a "smith" installed a plug and then the drum to make up the difference, a couple to many seams for my tastes. :shocked2:

If the original poster has a lathe and the time and skill to fab the correct drum then yes do it yourself. :idunno:

I have the tools and the skills to do the job, and still sent the barrel off to CVA as the liability is not worth the risk. :surrender:

I have built a few rifles, and have more than half a dozen waiting in the wings, I have a day job. :wink:

In my humble opinion this job is better left to the pros. :bow:

Either way good luck to the op

ApprenticeBuilder said:

CVA inserts a solid plug and drills from the muzzle down, that insures that the contact surfaces are correctly mated, no gaps. :hmm:

As another poster stated that a "smith" installed a plug and then the drum to make up the difference, a couple to many seams for my tastes. :shocked2:

If the original poster has a lathe and the time and skill to fab the correct drum then yes do it yourself. :idunno:

I have the tools and the skills to do the job, and still sent the barrel off to CVA as the liability is not worth the risk. :surrender:

I have built a few rifles, and have more than half a dozen waiting in the wings, I have a day job. :wink:

I didn't know CVA's were so complicated. Don't they just have a barrel, (aka drum) that is threaded for the barrel? I appreciate you letting me know that Dixie or TOW doesn't sell drums for CVA's and that they must be installed by a professional.

My Bedford rifle has a drum and I installed myself, no lathe, no special machinery.

Thank you for making me look stupid.

Here's the picture, with the CVA explaination.
CVA1.jpg

Here's the After Market drum, see the differance?

drums_1.jpg

And the link to get one from Track; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?Search=drum-cva

They have one drilled and one un-drilled. Problem with the drilled is sometimes their not tight to the barrel when the nipple is lined up for a proper hammer strike.
I've done a few, and carefully filed the shoulder of the drum to get the proper fit, but it doesn't leave a person feeling comfortable when it's not nice an snug.
If you have the time and CVA will do it for a reasonable cost, I'd send it in. If your in a big hurry the aftermarket is out there but installing one will void all warrenty. They work, but again I'd keep the gun with a replaced drum on the low side of charges,,plinking and target only, and keep it out of the hands of some one looking for max loads!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee Necci where'd ya get the picture? I just posted that picture from an earlier catalogue (1982) on another forum ten days ago.
You are correct, the interlocking system makes it incredibly difficult to remove or reinstall the breech or drum. Once the threads are loosened, they rarely go back as originally installed. With that system, it seems just the thread deformation of removal can throw the reinstallation pretty far out of wack.

In today's sue happy world I don't think Track would sell anything that could lead back to them in a lawsuit. But heck I am a farmer not a lawyer. :) I would like to know how strong the short drum is as I have a Cva converted to flint with a short plug. Disclaimer don't try this at home kids. :) Larry

flintlock62 said:
ApprenticeBuilder said:

I didn't know CVA's were so complicated. Don't they just have a barrel, (aka drum) that is threaded for the barrel? I appreciate you letting me know that Dixie or TOW doesn't sell drums for CVA's and that they must be installed by a professional.

My Bedford rifle has a drum and I installed myself, no lathe, no special machinery.

Thank you for making me look stupid.

Mmmk,
Lets see if I can defuse this.

Being a mechanical individual making my living for 20+ years with my hands, (owner, operator) I might have taken exception to this statement that you directed towards my post,
but if one has any mechanical aptitude at all
So I may have came off a bit aggressive, was not entirely my intent.

I know about the CVA system because I was asked if I would repair a leaking drum on a CVA, after asking around a bit I called CVA and talked to a tech and was informed of the information contained within that picture that has been posted above,(I had not seen that picture prior to tonight) guess he was telling me the truth.

I only visit two muzzleloading forums, this one and ALR. Been around since '06, when I put my first flintlock together, when I do post its about things I know, from my experience, not to raise my post count. I NEVER assume.

If your feelings were hurt I'm sorry, but those are under your control not mine.
:hatsoff:

Whow, I thought this was just a simple fix,I'll probably just sell it for a parts gun.Shame though still a good gun. I appricate the info.

just got two in the mail yesterday from cains outdoor ;to replace 2 i screwed up last week by taking them out with a pipe wrench {not really screwed up bad ,just wrench marks!} the new ones have two flat sides for a wrench i think i paid 3.95 each they fit cva or traditions mike

east texas, let me know if the nipple lines up after you torque it up, are you installing it in a cva?

My feelings aren't hurt, I have never owned a CVA did not know about the set up they have. (That makes me feel stupid not knowing about it). I have built a few rifles and installed drums. In most cases, drums are easy to install, I just don't like the hole for the nipple already drilled.

Stupid is as stupid does!

As a machinist I have fit predrilled drums two different ways to get proper alighnment. 1. carefully chuck up the drum checking concentricity, skim the shoulder a few thousands.This allows the drum to turn more "advancing" the hole for the nipple 2. Make a brass shim to fit . This will "retard" the hole. Calculating the amount needed requires knowing the pitch of the thread and degrees of change required to get the nipple to alighn.When skiming the drum shoulder you may need to shorten the drum the same amount. When shimming the drum No spacer is needed inside the breech for small amounts, Just fill the gap with permetex gasket coumpound. We are talking thousnads of an inch not 1/16ths. :hmm: :hmm:

Back