• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt repros 1858 Navy/1861 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone in the Forum compared the Italian repro's frame dimensions for an 1858 Navy or an 1861 Navy vs. an original? (I don't have the equipment needed to do this, like an optical comparitor for example.)

The original Colt 36 cal Navy revolver was purported to have exceptional natural pointing abilities. Some said this is due to a slight flare at the bottom of the grip, plus a change in the grip angle, not found in the 1860 Army version. (This may also be an unsupported legend.)

While I suspect Pietta and Uberti may be slightly different than each other, I wonder if their basic pistol frame is the same for the 36 cal Navy and the 44 cal Army, with the cylinder and barrel just bored to a smaller diameter?

Pietta's grip is slightly different from the original.

The Navy and Army used the same frame, with the Army having a cutout for the wider cylinder. The Army has a longer cylinder, made possible by the shorter forcing clone in comparison to the Navy.

The Army has a slightly larger and longer grip. Apparently the first production run of Army revolvers had Navy sized grips.

Your post's subject speaks of a 1858 Colt navy. Do you mean Remington?
Doug

If you are interested in purchasing a Colt type revolver, either the 1851 Navy, or the 1861 Navy, I would go with the Uberti models. They aren't marked all over with stampings like the Piettas are. I like the fit and finish of the Ubertis better than the Piettas also.

Both the 1851 and 1861 models are fun shooters. :thumbsup:

The 1851 Navy Colt was the first really practical holster pistol, the earlier Walker and dragoons were really too heavy for belt carry and the little .31's were underpowered for serious combat duty. With the 1860 Army model Colt managed to shoehorn the .44 caliber into the same frame size as the 1851 .36 caliber and made a really great combat handgun.
I personally prefer the longer grip of the 1860 but apparently most people prefer the 1851 grip since Colt went back to that grip on the 1873 single action army model.

Only a true "Man's Man" would be able to make that comment Pete :haha: . Or the Governator, but he's got his hands full this week!

Dave

smokin .50 said:
Only a true "Man's Man" would be able to make that comment Pete :haha: . Or the Governator, but he's got his hands full this week!

Dave

They aren't full of Maria anymore. :)

dcriner said:
Your post's subject speaks of a 1858 Colt navy. Do you mean Remington?
Doug

Nope, my mistake, should be "1851 Colt," not "1858."

If I could figure out how to correct the Topic line I would, but looks like that can't be done.

Capper said:
They had girly hands in those days Joe. :grin:

Maybe, but back in the day you didn't tell a guy with a couple of Navies on his hips that he has "girly hands". :rotf:

Maybe, but back in the day you didn't tell a guy with a couple of Navies on his hips that he has "girly hands".
You did if you were holding a shotgun.

Well, look at all the pics of Hickok. Is it any wonder he became a bada&#? Supposedly, his lips puckered out so much, his first nickname was 'Duckbill' at least that's what I read somewhere. I think I would have gotten a bit of an agressive attitude too.

Lizardo said:
Well, look at all the pics of Hickok. Is it any wonder he became a bada&#? Supposedly, his lips puckered out so much, his first nickname was 'Duckbill' at least that's what I read somewhere. I think I would have gotten a bit of an agressive attitude too.
Yeh...it was probably "duck-Bill" until he emptied his first Navy into a guy...shortly thereafter it became "WildBill" :hmm:

Back