• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some knives and hawks I've made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew smith

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I posted in the introduction section and had a few people encourage me to post some of my work so...here goes. I started blacksmithing about three years ago just for a hobby and I really enjoy making tomahawks and knives the most. Over the past year I've had a growing interest in re-enacting and making things like would have been seen 150+years ago. I haven't made it to that point yet but if someone on here has a suggestion/ comment/ critique to make my stuff better then by all means say so!

Here are a few tomahawks, I mostly use ball peen hammers and some 4140 alloy steel.

These hawks are made from 24oz. ball peen hammers.
IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3760-1.jpg

This one is made from 1" round 4140 alloy steel.

IMG_0342-1.jpg

Other than one here and there made from a file or leaf spring, most of my knives are RR spike knives. Eventually my knives will be more traditional and I am working that way. Again, suggestions are welcome, I am by no means an expert.

IMG_4173-1.jpg

IMG_4166-1.jpg

Love your hawks like the pineapple twist on your railroad spike knife

They all look pretty good to me. Good use of available materials too!

Dan

Thanks guys for all of the comments. Yes, I am 18. My Dad used to be a contractor so I had a lot of available tools and then he bought and sold overstock merchandise for a while so I was able to buy brand name tools and equipment at cheaper prices. Also my grandpa is a Mechanical engineer so he gave me lots of tips on things.

Thank you everyone.

I was looking at some of you guy's -and girls if there are any- tomahawks and knives and I wanted to ask, how do you make a weeping heart cutout in a hawk blade? Do you make a heart-shaped hot punch or do you just drill it and file it?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

I drill it round and file it with varying sizes of needle-files

You could make a punch, but it might be hard to drive it through the blade smoothly

Andrew, I drill two holes close enough together that they intersect, then all you have left is to file the bottom. Hope this helps. :v
100_1620.jpg

Back