• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

remington or colt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanx zonie,as usual your right in the zone :grin: actually the army is the same price 199$ and i have been looking at bit also but i kinda considered it a colt also right? to clarify i really dont hunt the hogs i hunt deer but these woods are overrun with the snooter rootes! i dont want to be caught with one bullet cause ive shot them before and even a well placed head shot sometimes will and sometimes wont drop them , no kidding ,these things are mean but i need the venison every year so i got to be in the woods i apprecieate the lack of legal advice ,hell im grown i just was trying to determine what was best for me , iwant something to fit my big hand and still be effective i have the money ready just needed input from experience. as usual its a pleasure to hear from you and the no nonsense answers mike

I`m on the team that likes the 1860 Colt. Some folks will say the Remingtons are stronger because of the top strap, but the colts are plenty strong enough for the their intended loads and use.
The reason I like the 1860 Colt is, for me anyway it`s a natural pointer. The muzzle just seems to end up where I`m looking without effort. Thats a big advantage in a defensive situation.
Good luck with whatever ya choose.

applause: thanx sarge no one has commented on the pointability yet, a very stong point after hearing from you and zonie im sure leaning to the 60!!

I love the looks of the Colt revolvers and own several but one advantage that the Remingtons have is that they are less likely to choke on spent caps and jam up. I have never had that happen with my Remingtons where it happens with my Colts often enough. If you've got mister pig PO'd and charging at you a jammed cap could ruin your day.

Don

Yep, there's just something about the Colt that's beautiful to look at and easy to point. I have both Remmy's and Colts, and they both do the job. But if I had to limit myself to just one, I do believe I'd go with a Colt. (.44 or '60 Army)

As in beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. But that's what I'd choose.

(And just to throw a wrench into the mix, if I could really only have one, I might make it my Rogers & Spencer...)

The Remington I used to own smacked me REAL hard on the middle finger. The 1860 Army did not. My hands are not particularly large.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Another vote for the '60 Colt Army! Natural pointer, holds the same amount of powder as the Remmy, bigger & more comfortable grips.

If you had a little more scratch I'd have you look at a horse pistol for them hogs....just sayin' :thumbsup: .

Dave

I'll cast my vote for the Uberti Colt 60 as well. Like they said it has great pointability (I mean it just naturally arrives on target), large grips that fit big hands, the whompability of the 44 and most importantly, it just looks cool. :grin:

The Colts do have more of a tendency to get cap fragments in the works than the Remingtons do.

That said, a man has to get to know their gun to be proficient with it.

A Colt open top shooter soon learns to either twist his hand to the right so the gun is laying 'flat' when he cocks it, or they will learn to point the muzzle at the sky while cocking it (like the old grade B cowboy movies actors were always doing).
By doing either of these things while cocking the Colt the cap fragments will fall out where they won't cause a problem with the gun reaching full cock.

(See? IMO, those old grade B movies weren't all wrong even though they were using cartridge guns.
In reality I think that this twisting of the gun or pointing it at the sky when cocking was learned back in the open top cap and ball days and it carried over with the later style guns without many people knowing why they were doing it.)

I have both. [pietta's] the colt shoots about a foot high at 25 yards. i really have to bear down on the sight so as i can hardly see the front sight then it is acceptable. if you get a hog coming at you and you forget.....OH BOY!!! :shocked2:

OK; this is just me, but if I had to pick a pork pistol, I'd absolutely go Walker or Dragoon. A Walker shooting a 200 gr. Lee conical over full-house loads is about as close to a .44 mag as you will get without a cartridge case.
If neither of the horse pistols is to your liking, I would personally choose the Remmy. It's stronger, handles conicals or .454 RBs with equal ease, has an actual "rear sight", and with an extra cylinder, gives you three-second cylinder swaps with 12 shots at your fingertips. The notches between the cylinders aren't fool-proof, but a durn sight better than the little pins on the Colts (5-shot guns if you're gonna carry)Let's see...5 shots and a barrel wedge, or 12 shots with a quick slide pin? Hmmm...Plus it's a full-frame gun that can handle a steady diet of full-house loads.(read; conicals)
OK, it doesn't point as nice, it's not as "pretty" as the Army, and the grip is "smallish" (I have small hands, so it suits me just fine)
Can I make a suggestion? Find someone that owns both and try them.
BTW, I'm not biased. I own a '58 Remmy, '51 Navy, '60 Army, 2nd Dragoon and a Baby Dragoon, so I'm not talking out of my hat. You need a "battle weapon", not a range gun, and I think the Remmy is the best choice overall, with the Walker/Dragoon getting the nod for hog-killing horsepower.

thanx fer your 2cents capn could you tell me a little more bout shootin conicals out of the revolvers? are they just basically bulletts without a case?more knockdown? heaiver? max powder load in remmie vs colt gee i never thought id get so many different opininions everybody likes something different!by the way nobody out here in the woods shoots black but me and thereis no comparisons to make.its pretty hard to find supplies in east tex , and i find that kinda strange in itself. youd think in a town named after davy crockett someone...... anyhoo, iguess ill have to get one now and save up on the next job (when and if it ever comes} and get another its gotta be a sickness as ive already become addicted to the long rifles!!!

I have shot the Lee 200 grain conicals out of both the Remington and Colt revolvers. They are slightly less accurate than round balls but not enough to matter. Because they are heavier than round balls the conicals increase felt recoil. I have only shot them with 25 grains of powder but with the Remington I wouldn't hesitate to increase that powder charge. I tried 26 with one of my Colts and went back to 25 because the revolver started to choke on caps more frequently for some reason. Haven't tried heavier powder load with the Remmy yet but some posters here have and seem to have no problems with function when doing so.

Don

I too like the feel and looks of the Colt over the Remington. As far as dependability on follow up shots, I'd go with the Remington. I have 3 Uberti Colt's, none of which I can get to shoot all 6 rounds before they jam up with cap fragments. I have fired the Remington 48 shots( 8 cylinders) without any failures(quit shootin after 48 rds. because of weather). All 4 pistols use Treso nipples and Remington#10 caps.

Put me in the same group as Kirk. For hogs I would go with a Dragoon, Remington, or Ruger Old Army.

As for your legal issues, if you meet TX criteria I would encourage you to go through the process to have your rights restored.

Zonie said:
The Colts do have more of a tendency to get cap fragments in the works than the Remingtons do.

That said, a man has to get to know their gun to be proficient with it.

A Colt open top shooter soon learns to either twist his hand to the right so the gun is laying 'flat' when he cocks it, or they will learn to point the muzzle at the sky while cocking it (like the old grade B cowboy movies actors were always doing).
By doing either of these things while cocking the Colt the cap fragments will fall out where they won't cause a problem with the gun reaching full cock.

I don't do this with any of my three Colt repros. I've read articles on tuning them by CAS guys, and their concensus is that if you have to do wild gyrations your gun needs work. Of course YMMV.

What Don said... :wink:
I cast my own Lee 200gr conicals...no "magic bullet" here (pun intended), as felt recoil is higher and accuracy (overall) appears less "pinpoint" but we're talking piggies with the hardware to open you up like a cantaloupe, right? Give me a conical every time.
Loading is straightforward...load just like a RB, over felt wad or grease over the bullet; your choice. You'll have to use less powder as the conicals take up more chamber space, and then there's also that recoil thing...
I just sent a few of these to Dave (Smokin'.50) to try out, you might want to get his input as well.
For all intents and purposes, when tusked animals are involved, I'd choose a three-inch group of man-stoppers over a 1 inch group of tack-drivers every time.
But again; that's just me...... :hmm:

Here's a link to the mold from MidwayUSA:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=285116

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a Remington copy years ago that was BAD about jamming up with caps....so they're not immune.

The question wasn't about HUNTING hogs, just a reasonable defense against them.

I really like my Dragoon, but since they cost about $350, they're considerably more than the $200 for the Pietta 60 army.

The Colt Army can generate mid to high 900's of FPS muzzle velocity with a round ball. The Dragoon doesn't have too much power over it.

Back