• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

remington or colt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

east texas

45 Cal.
Reaction score
hello to all saturday i am buying my first revolver, cabellas has a decent sale in their bargain cave the remmie with a 5 1/2 bbl is 199 the 51 navy with 8 inch bbl is 149 i shoot nothing but black powder now (felon) there ive said it!! and my question to all you more experienced pistolereos is which one would you get and why? i will purchase the one that the free advice here leans to thanx in advance mike oh by the way just so you know im not a mother raper or something the felony was for bad checks back in the seventies! :bull:

Who makes those particular reproductions? Uberti, Pietta, or who? What caliber are they? (The standard Navy caliber, which I prefer as a plinker, is .36.) Steel or brass frames?

There are a several possible answers to your question. Maybe get them both? Colt has the name, looks, history, and the penache. The Remington frame, particularly if we're talking about brass, is stronger since it has a strap over the cylinder. Either will be fun to shoot.

If you can't decide between the two, I would get the Colt - longer barrel and less expensive.

You could check and compare the prices for new reproductions. Dixie is selling Uberti 1851 Navy Colts for $250. So, your price sounds attractive.

Oh, by the way - if you'd ever want to buy something from me, I'd take your check!

Get the Remington. The $150 Colt is not only brass framed (weaker) but also historically inaccurate (Navy by definition is .36 caliber). You may have to do some minor tuning of the revolver, but it's all part of the fun.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/
Taylor's Firearms has a good deal currently. It's a brass framed .36 Colt Navy for $160 with an free spare cylinder.

Welcome. I have nothing against nonviolent felons who have paid their debt to society. I think it's manure that certain nonviolent felonies can get your rights taken away.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx for that!! being young and dumb has its disadvantages but now at 53 and maybe just a little bit smarter has its advantages! it has opened up a whole new world of heritage,history,and just pure-dee satisfaction of black powder shooting! i filled my freezer last year with them kentucky longrifles but now i seriously need to think about a couple of things, one being home protection, the oyher being caught in the woods with a couple of these pineywoods rooters with a single shot rifle, and all these pine trees dont gots no lower branches to climb!!!! so im looking mainley at the 44 for obvious reasons. also there isint much work out here so money is always an issue so i can only buy one for now, thanx again, mike

My Remington "Belt pistol", (the 5-1/2" barrel) has literally never failed to fire for me. But neither have my Colts. (If a hog were coming after me I'd want my Walker!)

One point: please be very careful about toting a smoke wagon and thinking that just because it's a blackpowder arm it's A-Ok for prohibited folk. That's not always the case. Some places don't care, some equate them with any firearm, and some differentiate between percussion and flintlock. Do some research.

Best to ya...

In many places, the minute you assemble gun, powder, ball, and caps the same rules and regulations come into place as a modern handgun.
Get it in writing before you or anybody thinks they are are exempt from the long arm of the law.
They have no mercy or forgiveness.
All the best
Old Ford

Personally, I'd go Colt. The Rems have just always looked ugly and clunky to me (just my own taste). I've never been happier than with my 51 Navy, which was my first BP weapon. As for brass vs steel, The steel would be the obvious choice if they were still $170 new, like mine was. But with money tight, I'd say don't let the fact that it's a brassy sway you if you'd prefer that model.

Sure, it may not last you 300 years of 100gn loads, but if the law will allow it then at least you have a good wheel gun until better times come along and you can afford steel. It'll for sure give you years of great time of lower plinking loads, and many full-up cylinders when you hunt.

Just double check with DPS (in writing is a good idea), I'd hate to see you hemmed up over a misunderstanding!

For what it's worth:

PENAL CODE
TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:

(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or

(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.
Sec. 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm:

(1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony or the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later; or

(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location other than the premises at which the person lives.

Sounds like you could own and keep one at home, but like it can't leave your property. Again, clear this with DPS. Good luck!

thanx for all the good legal advice yall but i HAVE talked to atf.local law enforcement and read the game and wildlife rules and in texas it seems im ok even to carry in my vehicle which wont be necessary since i live in the middle of thousands of acres of uninhabited forest its eleven miles down a dirt road thats after you run out of (almost}one lane of pavement! im still trying to find out which revolver will meet my needs best ithink the rem would be eaiser to reload ,swap cylinders but unless i run into a whole herd of the rooters that probally wont be to big an issue although last year i got three of them ,them critters are hard to stop! very few of them go down with one piece of lead it is very dangerous in these woods , hogs are tearing up every thing! as for home defence, well you cant fight a war with a bp revolver in these days but with times getting like they are i need to be aware of the possibilities of those that wernt good little squirrels trying to get the nuts i put up as has been said on here before; most gunfights are settled within the first couple of shots. i hope it never comes to that but i know i need something that will fire more than once to have any kind of chance .be it hogs or human NOW the only question is which one?

Save for the steel frame Remington. That way you don't have to worry about shooting full powder loads behind heavy conicals.

As far as finding out what the law is, DON'T talk to cops. Talk to lawyers. Look at the laws yourself.

For me, the Remington doesn't have a great handle shape. The Colts have more comfortable handles for me, though the Pietta 1860 grip has an odd humpback...I think the Uberti 1860 is more properly shaped...

I've had a Remington, and recently got a Pietta 1860 (not shot yet) and an Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon. Love that gun.

They have both (steel frames) a 51 Navy .36 and the 60 Army .44 for $199.99 each. For me, being .44 is a plus, and the longer 1860 grip fits my hand better than the stubby Navy grip does, so that would be my choice. :wink:

And mine is VERY well made, especially considering the 200 buck price tag it had.

I agree with Stophel- go for the steel .44! Hogs are very hard to stop with one shot (I have seen domestic hogs take a solid headshot and keep on coming- if it hadn't been tied to a stake, it would have gored the farmer- who was doing his own butchering- for sure). I know of a lieutenant who unloaded a Model 1911 into a wild pig at Grafenwohr, hit it seven times out of eight in the chest, and the boar hit his APC with enough force to knock over a coffee cup inside the track. Despite his protestations of self defense, the Lt. was told that the Army was really no longer in need of his services, since he hadn't paid attention to the "don't sleep on the ground" and the "don't leave food lying around" instructions.

so, yes, porky will take a good bit of lead to stop, so go with a .44.

as regards the 'felon with a firearm' thing, i wouldn't put my freedom on the line based on the spoken word of a cop- not that cops are bad, lazy, meanspirited or anything like that, but there's nothing that you can do to (or about) the cop once you've been arrested. The local prosecutor could easily say, well the cop was wrong and here's your indictment and you'd better get used to baloney sandwiches, 'cause you're going to the big house. The prosecutor doesn't care about "justice" - he or she cares about their conviction rate.

I can't see why non- violent ex- offenders aren't allowed to defend themselves by whatever means are readily available to those who would do them a mischief. After all, when was the last time a home invader asked "Hey, buddy, have you got a record, 'cause if you do, then I'll go away, since it's not fair that you can't protect yourself?" ridiculous ...

(That's my tirade du jour- sorry about that soapbox thing).

amen!! makes you wonder how they can interpet the words :these rights shall not be infringed:!! :hmm:

As our CHL instructor (who is also a Federal prosecutor) explained -- If it has a Bang, a Barrel and a Bullet, it's a firearm. :2

yes everybody has an opinion but the law is the law and in black and whiteit states what is not considered a firearm and my guns do not . neither here nor there what i was asking for is opinions as to which revolver would be my best bet as i can only afford one i appreaciate everyones 2 cents but i will not be unarmed :bow:

Sense you said you want to hunt hogs (which need as much stopping power as you can get), and you have large hands, go for the 1860 Colt revolver.

Ideally you could use a 1st, 2nd or 3rd model Dragoon as they can be loaded with more powder behind their .45 caliber ball but carrying around a 4 1/2 pound pistol can get to be work.

Getting back to the reality of your situation, the 1860 Colt Army can be loaded with a pretty stout load and you may be able to find one in your price range. If not, keep saving and looking. You'll find one. :)

I can't speak for others guns but my 1860 Colt chambers are 1.310 deep while my .44 cal Remingtons chambers are 1.340 deep.
Whether 1/32" worth of powder can be considered worthwhile or not is up to the individual that owns it and IMO it's not going to make much difference in power.

The grip on the 1860 Colt looks by eyeball to be about 3/8" longer than the 1858 Remingtons grip.
It also has more thickness (front to back) than the Remington. This was my main reason for suggesting the Colt.

Latest posts

Back