• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped barrel fit to lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul R

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Rice, TOW style, swamped barrel coming for a new build. When fitting the lock for a flinter, is the bolster filed to match the taper, keeping the lockplate parallel to the bore? Or, is the lockplate parallel to the side of the barrel, angled to the side of the stock?

I realize the amount of taper is small, but to keep the bolster tight to the side of the barrel, it seems to me some adjustment has to be made.

Paul

The lock plate follows the side of the barrel. The guns I've built, I've not had to alter anything. The lock just lays with the barrel contour,and fits snugly against the barrel, no gap.

bolster fits tight to the barrel and the stock also follows the lines of the barrel... does that help??

Moose in canoe said:
I have a Rice, TOW style, swamped barrel coming for a new build. When fitting the lock for a flinter, is the bolster filed to match the taper, keeping the lockplate parallel to the bore? Or, is the lockplate parallel to the side of the barrel, angled to the side of the stock?

I realize the amount of taper is small, but to keep the bolster tight to the side of the barrel, it seems to me some adjustment has to be made.

Paul

Do not file the bolster.

As a general rule you WANT the lock to flare out at the tail end, following the flare of the breech, so that you can make the wrist as wide as possible. Unless you're doing an 1830 gun or something. :wink:

Then, of course, there's the guns with the heavily flared breeches that have the lock side of the barrel breech filed down to straighten the lock back out... :haha:

Anyway, put the lock against the flared barrel, and go with it. :wink:

To Stophel, et al, thank you for your replies. I guess I'm over thinking. I haven't seen it mentioned any where & just wasn't sure.

Paul

Stophel said:
As a general rule you WANT the lock to flare out at the tail end, following the flare of the breech, so that you can make the wrist as wide as possible. Unless you're doing an 1830 gun or something. :wink:

Then, of course, there's the guns with the heavily flared breeches that have the lock side of the barrel breech filed down to straighten the lock back out... :haha:

Anyway, put the lock against the flared barrel, and go with it. :wink:

then as a semi related issue, should the angle on a flared tang (if using one) match the angle the lock plate flares and presumably the lock panel to?

Some tangs have a lot of flare, some don't.

I like to file mine down so that they are a continuation of the top barrel flat, meaning the tang has the same flare and is in line with the top barrel flat.

Latest posts

Back