• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

18th Century Fur Trade Belt Axe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious...what collection did you actually aquire the piece from...if you dont mind saying...
TC

That name is familiar does he have a "forum"name also? and raising ire is one of the favorite hobby of some folks around here, it sometimes makes for more thinking and research on everyones part.

To my knowledge, he used to post under The
Great Pinyone, but I don't think he's active on the forum.

Oh Lordy in the great blue sky, I do recall the Great Pineyone and that is all I need to know, many of us had some very interesting exchanges with him for a while some time back, I shall say no more on the matter, as I was once told that if I could not say something nice....well you know the rest.

Yes, he has some strong opinions and does not shy from argument, but has a wealth of knowledge and
experience in this field we are all interested in.

Really? I didn't know that...I had him "in a lead box" :haha:

That said, I'm not that quick to discount the axe head as being new, fake, or otherwise not what it is purported to be, but I'm no expert on axe heads.

Could it be naval? Some of the boarding axe heads have really wide swept blades...

I don't know bee manure from honey about axes, new or antique, but when I first looked at the picture of the dug axe it sure reminded me of this one. Chris

norse-hawk-tomahawk-cold-steel-knives_0.gif

August, Looks like what you have there is a stock photo of the Kennesaw Cutlery Cold STeel Viking Axe. It has a similar style, but is certainly not the same piece as my Belt Axe.
Exam of my axe shows a haft that extends down
below where the blade attaches. Mine has two
angles ground into the haft below the blade and
was made using the lap process of forging. The
back side of my haft is flattened where it appears that someone used it for hammering.
Maybe a few additional photos might mitigate some
of the disbelievers.
SNC00870.jpg

SNC00871.jpg

SNC00872.jpg

August West said:
I don't know bee manure from honey about axes, new or antique, but when I first looked at the picture of the dug axe it sure reminded me of this one. Chris

norse-hawk-tomahawk-cold-steel-knives_0.gif

Additional thought....I wouldn't be greatly
disappointed to find that my axe wasn't an
18th Century Fur Traders Axe but in fact a
Viking Axe. Vikings were cool too... except for
the Minnesota kind. Go Steelers!
I can't speak to the Naval idea. No knowledge
there.

Hey man, just change your name to Ragnog and you are in buisness as a 9th century C.E. Viking raider...kool

Found this interesting axe:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/99232823/page03.htm

Says 17th century and probably Spanish.

The Great Pinyone! As soon as I read the "name" the silhouette avatar picture came into my head. I could never figure out if the guy was the most learned history fop in the world or just a charming fop with a silver tongue. I have to say I nearly always enjoyed reading his posts, either for history or pure entertainment.

Personally, I've learned a tremendous amount from him and he has major talent when it comes to engraving and building longrifles, accountrements and furniture. He likes to mix it up with guys on posts, but that never bothered me. I can take it and dish it.

Latest posts

Back