• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

think im finaly ready. any suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well guys, i think i want a flinter. i have a thing for squirrel rifles, so im wanting a .32, really long rifle like you guys shoot with the 40 ish inch barrel (i think thats what they are?) with double triggers. i would like to have one of the beautiful rifles like i see on this sight with the fine wood and great mettal work and details, just a long, pretty, sexy rifle. however, i dont think i could cough up 2 grand for a rifle. could i get anything close to what i want for a grand or under? thanks guys! (btw i love pics.) :grin:

Dixie Gun Works used to sell it's Tennessee Mountain Rifle in calibers 32 and 50, flint or percussion, left or right handed. If you can find one in the used market, it will be for a lot less than a grand. Save some of your money for the accoutrements you'll be needing, and shooting supplies, like powder, patches, ball, flints or caps, ramrod tips, powder horn or flask, powder measures, and a "range rod". Also try to join a local muzzleloading club. Experienced shooters can save you a ton of grief.

thanks for the quick reply. i have already gone through two rifles,a cabellas .58 cal hawken and an old custom .38 cal, which is ugly around the edges, but a tackdriver and i love it. so im not totally new to the game, im just ready to move up to a big loooooong slim .32 flinter. i would love to have a custom gun but they are costly. just wondering abuot gun bulders or maby some customs on the used market or what have you. like i say, not really looking for a good first rifle, but a realy nice rifle. :grin:

You can do way better than Dixie or Cabelas for the money you are talking about try TVM, many here are very happy with the guns they have from them, the Tennesee rifle or Southern Mt, late flint period type gun with a 42" straight barrel in squirrel cal would be a good choice, the amount of carving will dictate how high the cost but many of these were not highly adorned as that age had passed a few decades earlier, most of the production guns are so inflated in price now that one is really better off stepping up into the domestic made to order world, you will find many here praising the guns and prices from TVM, good used guns are also a very good way to go.

TVM can build you a basic TN or SMR in flint for under a grand. This would be what most call a "poor boy". These find favor even with those that love the "decked out" guns. This would also be HC for the early 19th century.

Also don't forget to check out our classified ad section of the forum.

There are usually a pretty good selection of guns there and who knows? You may find exactly what your after for under $1K.

newtothis said:
well guys, i think i want a flinter. i have a thing for squirrel rifles, so im wanting a .32, really long rifle like you guys shoot with the 40 ish inch barrel (i think thats what they are?) with double triggers. i would like to have one of the beautiful rifles like i see on this sight with the fine wood and great mettal work and details, just a long, pretty, sexy rifle. however, i dont think i could cough up 2 grand for a rifle. could i get anything close to what i want for a grand or under? thanks guys! (btw i love pics.) :grin:

I have a buddy who refers to rifles with 40 inch barrels as carbines :grin: . I would also add one more plug for TVM. I think you could find what you want for under a grand.

TVM is the way to go. I have a Tenn. rifle ordered from them now. Should be ready in a few months. :thumbsup:

newtothis said:

Considering the what the parts alone cost, a really good curly maple blank is 250-300 bucks. Barrels are 150 up usually more like 190+, lock 120+. Add good set triggers and we have 600+ and not even all the parts.
If you have some wood working skills its possible to make a pretty good rifle for 700 bucks worth of parts. See Jim Chambers Flintlocks they are excellent and most of the metal work it done, dovetails etc.
There is just too much hand work to allow selling a decent Kentucky for 1000 bucks. 1500 is far too cheap for the maker to get paid for his time.
A good rifle is an investment. With reasonable care it will probably be worth more in 10 years than when it was bought.
A cheap POS is always just that.

Check the Contemporary Longrifle Assoc "For Sale" page sometime there are bargains there. Sometime Track of the Wolf has some guns that are priced cheaper than they should be.
Dan

It might be a larger bore than you want but a really nice custom gun just came up on the classifides for $875
If I had the money it would be mine
Deutsch

I recently sent an email to Tip Curtis, wanted to see what had "in the white" in a long barreled smallbore squirrel rifle. He indicated in his reply that he had at least two smallbores ready for shipment, priced in the $1000-$1100 range.

Mr. Curtis from all reports I've read has a good reputation for in the white rifles. He doesn't have a website, I found his email address by doing a search here.

Please share Tip's email addy. I have been wanting to contact him for a while. Might order something once this furlough gremlin goes away...

CS

There is a real fine rifle on the ALR site for $800.00 + shipping. :thumbsup: Good Luck AL

Back