• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

coating barrel with boiled linseed oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russecv58

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just for fun, has anyone ever heard of coating the inside of a barel with boiled linseed oil to prevent fouling/ rust? would this even work, given time to dry well, or would it just turn into a gummed up/ impossible to scrubb out mess? :idunno:

Raw linseed oil( Not boiled) makes a good lube for use with drill bits when drilling ramrod holes into wood stock blanks. Other than that, I would not recommend it for use doing anything else with a MLer.

It would certainly never dry, and it would GUM Up the works, as you say, terribly. You would have to use a good alcohol based solvent( denatured alcohol, Kerosene, Gasoline! etc) to get that linseed oil out of a barrel, along with all the Black powder residue it would hold in the barrel.

I see no use for linseed oil boiled or not. Since there are many more better suited products available.
What a mess it would be in a barrel. Ugh!

My Son just refinished a .22 rimfire and coated the outside with linseed oil. It has protected the barrel nicely and dried hard. But I think it would be a mistake to use it inside the bore. Just my 2 cents!

Bannermans had a large selection of "field pickup" civil war muskets at their Island fortress
back in the 50's that were all dipped in a barrel of linseed oil as a preservative. Apparently that was the cosmoline of the day. It glued everything together and was a real PITA to remove but was pretty good at preventing rust. After 100 years of pretty much outdoor storage (sheltered from rain only) both metal and stocks were in pretty good shape after the crud was removed.

Back