• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC 54 Perc Hawken Rebore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Presuming that a pitted TC .54 percussion Hawken barrel is on hand to get rebored or relined, what caliber and rifling or smoothie would you choose?

GoodCheer said:
Presuming that a pitted TC .54 percussion Hawken barrel is on hand to get rebored or relined, what caliber and rifling or smoothie would you choose?
TC uses that same 1" barrel for its .58cal...but over boring, rerifling, and shipping both ways to have a machine shop do it will cost within $40-$50 of a brand new T/C .58cal...which also means you could just buy a new .54cal barrel and still use all the same accessories you already have, etc

Or, you could have Ed Rayl bore it out to a .62cal(.20ga) smoothbore barrel for less than/no more than $100 and have yourself a very versatile barrel there.

You're right, .62 smooth is a very attractive option. Kinda mulling over a smooth .60 for use with .575 round ball and 5/8" punched cards for shot.

I have a similar problem. This gives me an idea though. I'm thinking a drop-in GM barrel in .54 and reboring the pitted barrel to 20 ga. That's the nice thing with T/C. It's well supported by the after market.

there was a spanish company that made 20 and 12ga drop-in barrels for renegades. have seen a couple on evil-bay in the last month or two. and t/c makes 12ga new englanders which are basically round barreled renegades. for what it's worth, bubba.

.60, .62, .60, .62, oh decisions decisions.
I could try .60 and if it wasn't any good it could still get turned into a .62. There, I side stepped the decision completely. Hey, that was easy!

Back