• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vernier Tang Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
006.jpg
[/quote](photo copied from Semisane's post in http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/256496/ )

For any of you that use them, how well do vernier tang sights work for you, especially at longer ranges?

I'm sure they'd be good on the range, but how about in the field in open ground? I'm thinking of western hunting conditions, using conicals for mulies and elk.

How about at least close to looking acurate for, say, 1870's- anyone know of a good source for vernier tang sights?

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Lyman 57 SML peep sight. I use the Lyman 17 AML globe front sight with a Lee Shavers long range insert. This system works well. Ron

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

Mybuck55.jpg

2009buck08-A.jpg

Bigbuck4.jpg

Yeah, I'd say that system is werkin' pretty good fer ya!!!

Thx!

Dan

The Lyman 17 AML is a globe sight. The Lee Shavers inserts fit them perfectly and give a better assortment of options. I like the fine pin for my shooting. Ron

2250Sight_picture.jpg

Buffalo Arms and Montana Vintage Arms both sell a wide selection of TRUE vernier sights. A vernier sight can be accurately adjusted .020 of an inch [one minute]at a time. Expect to pay up to $400.00 Honestly, these sights are for real long range target shooting.....200-1000 yards. not for hunting. The ones illustrated are the best ones for your needs. cheers Paul

The T/C sight you show is a very poor choice for a hunting rifle. It uses a ball detente to hold it upright and it is very easily knocked out of position and needs to be reset or at least checked before every shot. It has a great deal of elevation adjustment available but it really is a great deal more than one would ever use on a hunt. All of that extra height just makes it more vulnerable to being bumped. Sights for a hunting rifle must above all be sturdy and foolproof, tall vernier sights are inherently delicate instruments.

vernier or soule sights are for target shooting from short to long range. i.e. 1,000yrds plus. they are precision tools and really aren't ment for the field. the lyman sight that idaho ron uses is a hunting aperture sight which is probably the best thing for your application in question.

Thanx ya'll. 'Preciate the input.

I been holdin' over for years, and aim point has to be adjusted for windage any way. So I'll just leave 'em alone for now.

Dan

Dan that is the thing about the Lyman. Lets say you use the range finder and the target or animal is 75 yards. You set the lyman sight for 75 yards. Lets say it is 125 yards. You set the sight for 125 and hold dead on.No hold over or hold under. I shoot milk jugs against my son in friendly competition, you know for milk shakes and stuff like that. He uses a 243 winchester and I use the ML. Out to 200 I can stay with him most of the time. Past that he whips me every time but I can still hit jugs out to 300 just not as many as he does. What I have found is the Lyman sight is a very good sight for my kind of shooting and hunting. Ron

medic302 said:
vernier or soule sights are for target shooting from short to long range. i.e. 1,000yrds plus.
The Soule site wasn't patented until August 1889 and is really of the breech loading era. Nonetheless it is used by many target shooters and is permitted under MLAIC (www.mlaic.org) international shooting rules.

David

Back