• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

skin a deer, under 3 min's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deer is hot and fresh from the field and not a very large doe at that, 50 pounds tops.

If the deer had been allowed to cool a bit, the skin will not come off as fast, based on 50 years of skinning.

A helper getting it up in the air is a help, does that count in the 3 minutes? Timed affairs is a one person show, no helpers.

Give the guy some credit. I'll give the same for you when I see your video doing it as fast.

Impressive but I'd rather take my time and enjoy the company of good friends after a days hunt while skinning out a deer or two here.

How did he get the bladder out in tact without any spillage from under the pelvic bone along with the fecal canal with it's content, again without spillage in that time? I thought that was part of gutting, no contamination?

Credit, okay.

Slow and clean is my goal, not speed.

RDE

Richard
We have always done it that way, with the exception of hanging the animal. The pelvis is cut and broken by sawing and then standing on the hindquarters, your weight will break it, then you cut around those "dirty glands" and pull them towards the belly. This guy just cut it the same way, but gravity let everything fall out. The secret is to make sure the pelvis is broken and where you cut will be about an inch wide, facilitating the removal. Have to be careful, though. Cut around the ^*%$^%hole, stick your finger inside, and pull gently to get everything through that 1" gap.

We are all taught different which is fine, knowing how is important, not the technique.

RDE

Someone sent that video to me, and I thought it was interesting. I've been teaching the bowhunter safety class since it was required. Part of that class is the care of game, which includes gutting and skinning. As the classes are usually a mix of youth, and older hunters looking for a new challenge, many have experience in this. Comments are always welcome, and believe me, there truly is more than one way to skin a deer or cat, and everyone is sure theirs is the right one. :grin: For example, around here, everyone guts in the field and skins at home.
The guy in the film looks to be wearing some kind of safety gloves.
Robby

The only instances that required a "fast gut time" were when my uncle and I were doing our "deer hunting" way north in Minnesota in July and August. Judging from the urine and rotten meat "odors" in our local butcher shop when he had 2 dozen or so deer laying on the floor waiting their turn, many hunters just don't even know the rudiments of field dressing a deer or how to care for one later on. No wonder some venison has that "gamey taste". Have hunted elk during the 9 day Colorado MLer season when the temps were in the 70s and never had a bad piece of meat...not difficult to figure out why. The elk was skinned immediately and quartered to let the carcass cool down and in camp, the "game bagged" meat was hung in a shady spot and the low temp nights did their job. Getting back to the topic.... who cares how fast the animal is gutted and skinned, just so it's done properly....Fred

Pssst. that wasn't fast. He didn't even make him a shirt or bag like I do. He also was looking at the deer, while I usually watch TV. He also was using a knife. I use an ordinary rock I sharpen up with my knuckles. :rotf:

Skylinewatcher said:
Pssst. that wasn't fast. He didn't even make him a shirt or bag like I do. He also was looking at the deer, while I usually watch TV. He also was using a knife. I use an ordinary rock I sharpen up with my knuckles. :rotf:

From now on we'll be calling you Knuckles.

Deer processor? I hope that ain't like a food processor! I figure I would stand clear of that fella. He could have you down to your whitie tighties before you finished your beer.

Truly enjoyed this thread. Smiled the whole time I read it. Obviously the man's either a butcher or a poacher or some of each. Since I only kill
a couple deer a year, time is not a factor. When hunting becomes a timed event, you can count me out. I have enough deadlines at work.

Based on my own experience, it takes a bit more time if you intend to save the hide to use to make a throw, or clothing. Also, cold conditions make those hides stick on a lot more than what you see here.

I use a small, dedicated hatchet( Ft. Meigs style axe head and short( 8") handle, for splitting the sternum, and cutting the hip girdle. It also cuts off the legs and neck. Wearing a glove- particularly one of these new style gloves with rubber "grippers" on the palms and fingers-- gives a real advantage for holding the hide off the meat when skinning.

I don't like saws. They leave bone fragments in the meat, and that take Bacteria into the meat to spoil it during storage. I bone out my deer, rather than store bones. You won't find me every taking a deer to a "Processing" plant, where all they seem to know is using saws.

Its just my way of doing things, and I certainly would never tell other folks to follow my lead.

But, I am outraged every year to hear that someone has been told to " donate" half the deer to a butcher in return for him processing the rest of the deer for the successful hunter. Working carefully at home, I can bone out my deer completely in a couple of hours, by myself. With help, I can reduce the time dramatically. I think that if I can do this work myself, ANYONE can. If you can cut a steak, or cut the meat off a chicken or turkey leg during dinner, then you can bone out your own deer, too. :hmm: :idunno: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Back