• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Bears of Blue River

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtcurman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone else read this book? It's been a lifelong favorite for me. Growing up in Indiana, it's fun for me because I know so many of the places. I also think it's about time they make a movie about it! :grin:

Ben

A friend of mine just gave it to me as a gift. I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll send you a book review in a PM. :grin:

What part of Indiana did you start out in?

Lived in Jefferson Co. for the first 10 years of my life, then Crawford Co. Beautiful country with lots of history. :thumbsup:

I have a copy that I pull out and read every so often and remember reading it for the first time in grade school. Got a copy a few years back for my nephew who lives in Muncie. One of my favorite books...

My 4th grade teacher miss Huber read that book to us in 1966 i was 9. that very book made me. i forgot all about it till now. wish i had one. i think the boy in the books name was balser.am i right. man i just went back 46 years.

I grew up in Indianapolis. My 5th grade teacher read it to us way back in 1965. I think the main character was named Bowser. In the early 70's we use to deer hunt on the Blue River near Edinburg then they put in Intersate 65 through the middle of that farm and we never hunted there again. :(

Snow

buzzon, yes, you are right, his name is Balser. I'm glad y'all have enjoyed it too, I don't know how many times I've read it or had it read aloud. :hatsoff: It never gets old!

"Balser", Bowser was the goofy guy in Sha Na Na... :rotf:

I'll have to find a copy, it has been a loooong time. What was the author's name?

Snow

Mr. Wright, one of my sixth grade teachers read it to us in 63-64. I can't drive I-74 and cross the Blue River without thinking of that book.

Wayne

Oddly enough, this is the only online discussion I've been able to find for The Bears of Blue River!

@Snow on the Roof -- the author's name is Charles Major, a lawyer-turned-novelist from Shelbyvile. Which makes my question all the more puzzling: Why is Shelbyville never mentioned in the book? The town was platted in 1822, several years before the Michigan Road (which is mentioned) was begun. The Brent family's cabin was surely no more than a handful of miles north of the town, but even though Little Balser's father is said to travel 60 miles to Brookville to sell his crops, he somehow never stumbles upon Shelbyville!

Any explanations?

Back