• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

North Star West trade guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is something uniquely attractive in those trade guns with their tacks and maybe a turkey beard hanging from them as well! They just have a no nonsense look of a gun that will bring home the bacon for sure. :wink:

Skychief.

jeep44 said:
I recently finished building a NSW Trade gun kit. This was the first 'real' kit I built (I put together a few CVA Mountain rifle kits, which basically amounted to some sanding and finishing), so I was worried about how difficult this would be. I went very slowly and carefully, and I think the best help I got was from a tutorial on kit building on this forum-it gave me a lot of tips on how to approach each step of the way. I had a few problems that I was able to fix, and some things I would do differently on the next one I build, but I'm pleased with how this gun came out. I'm especially pleased with the NSW lock, because I feel that it is the most important part of a flintlock gun-it sparks well, and my ignition is almost instantaneous. I specified a 36" barrel on mine, and .58 cal (because I have a number of other .58s). Here's a pic:

S6000799.jpg
Nice job on the gun, looks great! :thumbsup:

...Thanks, all this is very reassuring news... Late last year I was unsure and about to send deposit for one after e-mailing back-n-forth with Matt D.... However, the wife and I decided it was time to re-do the 'ol kitchen... So I'm saving again for one later this year...... Keepin my fingers crossed the driveway, water heater, washer, car, roof, lawn mower, snow blower, refrigerator, etc., hold out for a few more years. :v:

I am convinced I need a smoothbore and I am thinking about buliding a Northwest Trade gun because everything I read says they are a good first project.

My only concern is the trigger. How do you trade gun shooters like that long trigger? Do you find it to be any hinderance or is it not any different than shooting a rifle style trigger?

I recall reading somewhere in my research that these triggers were designed to be released with two fingers.

Sorry if I am highjacking the train!

I never really notices the trigger most simple triggers can be honed down to a passable release point the proper pivot point is also a factor to consider when building.

You'll get to liking that long wide trigger. And North Star West makes their own locks so they make sure their locks all have good sear and tumbler alignment for a good trigger pull.

I used a 41" barrel from North Star West for a flintlock fowler project serveral years ago. The barrel is light, but sturdy enough. For a gun with a long barrel it sure swings nice and easy.

My trigger pull is light-certainly, I do not need anything close to two fingers on that trigger.

I have been debating between a fowler kit and a trade gun kit(the debating may be pointless I may not be able to afford either one :cursing: ) After reading this thread I have decided I like the rugged good looks of the trade gun a little bit more than the fowler. I think I could really get into turkey hunting if I had a nice flintlock smoothbore.

I purchased the NSW kit, and finally completed it. This was my first build, and certainly hope to improve.
SDC10347.jpg
SDC10344.jpg

a lot of the early trade gun locks had no 1/2 cock. the full cock notch was deep and did require a firm pull to relese..this is not true today. the current locks all have 1/2 cock notch and are very well made,some even have a fly on the tumbler. :v

Better a fly on the tumbler than a fly in the ointment; common with imported locks.

That is one very good looking gun. What's the difficulty level?

How hard is a NSW kit to build? I really like the trade gun they have.

The kit was very well made and the build went very smoothly. Except for my brainless errors that extended the build. I would rate the build as moderately difficult. It was great as a first, but I needed to learn to take my time. Which explains the sloppy inlet on the lock plate, and possibly I will need to glass bed the barrel.

Back