• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lehigh Valley Lube...Again?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just read something of interest on another site, to wit: Lehigh Valley was sold to Ox-Yoke for awhile, and everyone agreed WHATEVER they did to muck about the formula they did, because Ox-Yoke Lehigh Valley Lube (sold as Shenandoah Valley?)was absolute rubbish with NOTHING to do with the original LV formula.

NOW, supposedly, Lehigh Valley is back in the capable hands of its original inventor, and he is once again making and selling the original formula Lehigh Valley Lube.

Can anyone verify this?

It's the type of thing that makes me wish it is true like a child wishes for Santa to be true. That stuff was unbeatable, in my book, the real deal, genuine no-hype dependable stuff with amazing properties.

My fingers are crossed. Knowledgeable people PLEASE chime in.

Many Thanks - Marc

The last thing I have read about this is the orginal inventor did in fact buy it back. However his has PTS from several combat tours in the middle east. Due to his trouble with PTS, he was unable to work. This was posted in Muzzleloader magazine couple years now. Lets hope the situation has changed as this was one real good lube.

Why don't you call Dixon's, they would probably know, there was a whole pile of it on their counter the last time I was there. And Chuck doesn't stock junk.

Good idea, Mike, thanks. Rat trapper - I had no idea about his post war problems. What a damn shame. Hope he HAS gotten better, F*** the lube.

But yeah, it WAS good stuff wasn't it?!!

I called Dixon' this morning and was told they have a product that is simlar to the orginal made by a different guy. They said they had sold a lot of it and never had any complaints. Ordered one bottle and will give it a try.

Received my bottle of lube Friday. It's called:
Shenandoah Valley shooting patch Lubricant bore cleaner. Says you don't have to clean between shots as the lube does it for you. When I called Dixon's Chuck told me he has sold a lot of it and has never had any complaints. This stuff is made by Muzzleloader Originals Bristol, TN. The bottle has the same picture on the bottle that Lehigh Valley lube had. Has anyone tried this stuff yet??

I've got several bottles of Lehigh and one of Shenandoah. If there's a difference in use and performance, I sure can't find it.

If you have not tried it Swampys lube which many use in similar formulas is great, Bear oil and bees wax as I recall, home made lubes that are as good and often better than any production made formulas are petty common, and much cheaoer and very easy to make, Stumpy has a well received lube mix as well.

Rat Trapper said:
Received my bottle of lube Friday. It's called:
Shenandoah Valley shooting patch Lubricant bore cleaner. Says you don't have to clean between shots as the lube does it for you. When I called Dixon's Chuck told me he has sold a lot of it and has never had any complaints. This stuff is made by Muzzleloader Originals Bristol, TN. The bottle has the same picture on the bottle that Lehigh Valley lube had. Has anyone tried this stuff yet??
It looks the same but it is not the same lube.

Capper said:
Other than shooting a bear. Where would you get the oil/tallow?
Google bear oil, you can find it sold from time to time on the net. I use deer tallow to mix not beeswax but if you haven't taken a deer and rendered the fat for tallow, beeswax will work to but I have come to prefer deer tallow for my lube.

I'd send ya some to try but I'm afraid I gave away my last bit. I need to look but I'm sure I finally used up all the deer tallow I had.

BrownBear said:
I've got several bottles of Lehigh and one of Shenandoah. If there's a difference in use and performance, I sure can't find it.

That's good to hear as I always liked the orginal Lehigh valley patch lube. As of now, I have not had a chance to try the Shenandoah valley patch lube yet.

Capper, try marmot oil. It makes a good patch lube by itself and it mixes very easily with deer tallow for a thicker lube. One fat marmot will render down close to a pint of oil and it stores well, I'm still using some I rendered about 15 years ago.
If you oil your boots with marmot oil dogs will love you. :haha:

Back