• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

revolver lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey how do you guys lube your revolvers? I was thinking about trying to figure out some way to make "lube cookies" or something like that so that when it is all loaded up I can just place the "cookie" over top of the ball and be done with it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I have done that with Crisco but it is really runny when it get hot out. I have another lube that I would like to try but it is harder than Crisco so it would not be possible to use a syringe or a Popsicle stick. I use it for my minie ball lube and my paper cartridge sharps with great success so I would like to try it in my revolver.

I would think beeswax melted and poured into a "sheet" and then use maybe a .45 cal cartridge case as a "cookie cutter" for .44 revolver. Some talc to keep em from sticking together?
May try it myself.
Jon D

They have become known as "lube pills" many recipes are out there. But basically you can take crisco and beeswax, melt them together and pour it into a shallow pie tin. Make a cutter out of copper tubing. It is good to have both ends open so you can use a dowel to push them out of the tube. I went through all this trouble a couple years age and then I found a cheap frosting syringe at a goodwill store for crisco, best method yet. I too used to use a popsicle stick with my can of crisco.

I use a small "butter knife" like those used to spread butter onto bread or something. A little better than a popcicle stick. My lube is half beeswax and half synthetic motor oil. Works well. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

I like bore butter.I smear it on my balls before
I press them in & smear it on my cylinder rod
to prevent sticking.

I also swab the barrel with it.

Fly :v

I get a large veterinary syringe (at least 24 cc) at the feed store, TSC, etc and fill it with my lube. Some folks use a small cake decorating syringe, from a kitchen store. A few wood working supply houses carry gluing syringes. They look like a normal plastic syringe with a curved spout on the end for getting glue into furniture joints. For the farm, we order syringes by the gross. At that quantity, they are about 35 cents each.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hca/hcahcar3785.htm http://www.allegromedical.com/brow...ase=monoject&gclid=CKmB79K8g6gCFYx_5QodqVfuqg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fly, I used to use bore butter, and it is a good lube, but especially in warm weather it blows everywhere with the first shot and is very messy. This mixture I talked about stays nice even in warm weather. :thumbsup:

Take care, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Mine goes into an Altoid Can and a free wooden stick is used.

The viscosity (thickness) of revolver lube depends on the temperature where you are shooting.

What works fine when it's 40 degrees does not work well when it's 70, the lube gets to thin. What you use at 40 degrees will not when it gets to be 100 degrees, it will pour out of the cylinder and really make a mess.

RDE

I have never greased the front of my cylinders, never, and I have five '58 Remingtons. I do however, use wads, and I've never had a bit of problem.... yet. :grin:

I have been told by an old shooter that it really not needed if loaded properly, but he also mentioned that automotive bearing grease works real well. I have also seen people use vaseline petroleum jelly. Imagine having to go to the dirty book store to get your gun lube. :grin: :rotf: There's a reason they call it "Wonder Lube". :haha: :rotf: :rotf: Sorry guys, but it sounded like a good thing to say, but then again, you never know. It's called "Wonder Lube" for a reason. :grin: :haha: :haha:

I have been using grease cookies on top the powder under the ball i can shoot shoot as much as i want with out cleaning or lubing. I use 1/4 wax toilet ring, one stick parafin Wax and eight tablespoons of olive oil melt togather in a tin can in a pot of water pour it a 1/8 inch thick in a pan let cool punch out cookies with a 45cal case.

Fly said:
I like bore butter.I smear it on my balls before
I press them in & smear it on my cylinder rod
to prevent sticking.

I also swab the barrel with it.

Fly :v

Sir, are you sure you wouldn't like to re-arrange a few of the words in your first sentence? :shocked2:

Just sayin'...

tac

I use no wads, or lube on the balls.

I assume you guys are putting lube over the balls to lube the bore? Why use an indirect method that also blows it all over the gun?

Lube the bore. :idunno:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It is amazing when you put words a certain way what they COULD imply?????? :thumbsup:

:rotf: DonK

I put a grease cookie under the ball as you shoot it lubes cylinder pin and cylinder face and keeps the barrel clean and lubed.

just wondering of your 58's do you have the brass frame what is the thing i am doing wrong , here the problem, after 10 shots the cyl freezes and the cyl pin sticks i have tried lube, no lube, olive oil, Crisco, ball butter ,wonder lube, moose juice, dry wads, lubed wads, one wad, 2 wads and nothing works or is it just me or the pistol oh i use 20-25 g of 3f goex. any thoughts? :idunno: and yes i do use lube on the RB's.

In all honesty, I don't think it's what and how things are stuffed into the cylinder that makes it accurate, it's the person who holds the pistol that creates magic, nothing else.

RDE

bkovire said:
just wondering of your 58's do you have the brass frame what is the thing i am doing wrong , here the problem, after 10 shots the cyl freezes and the cyl pin sticks i have tried lube, no lube, olive oil, Crisco, ball butter ,wonder lube, moose juice, dry wads, lubed wads, one wad, 2 wads and nothing works or is it just me or the pistol oh i use 20-25 g of 3f goex. any thoughts? :idunno: and yes i do use lube on the RB's.

Not what you want to hear, but that's why I shoot Colts.

Back