• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 remmie front site

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one know where I can get a replacement front site for my Remington 1858 army (I think) cheap?

IMG_0343.jpg

Make one?

Thanks guys that helps a lot. :thumbsup: I am already am embarrassment at the range with my non BP guns. I really can not hit the broad side of a barn with my 1858.

There is no reason a cap&ball revolver should not be as accurate, if not more accurate, than cartridge revolvers. well, I should have said there is no reason a C&B revolver cannot be "made" to shoot accurately. The most common problem is undersize chambers. Any revolver, C&B or cartridge should have chamber throats at least as large as the groove diameter of the barrel. Most replica .44 revolvers have a groove diameter of .451-.454" but chambers are sometimes as small as .438". Once a ball is rammed into an undersize chamber it will just rattle down the bore with little or no contact with the rifling.
I always ream my chambers to .452" and use a ball of at least .454" or better, a .457" ball. If a .451" ball fits the chamber tightly you can bet your chambers are too small for best accuracy.

Sorry What I meant is that my modern guns have their sites, and I am still not very accurate. I am verrrryyyy inaccurate with my BP that has the missing site. BTW mine dose swallow .451. Can I bore out the cylinders? I have seen guys load .454 in theirs and leave a lead ring, but all that would do on mine is to make a .454 ball into a .451 oblate spheroid. :wink:

Matchlock72 said:
Sorry What I meant is that my modern guns have their sites, and I am still not very accurate. I am verrrryyyy inaccurate with my BP that has the missing site. BTW mine dose swallow .451. Can I bore out the cylinders? I have seen guys load .454 in theirs and leave a lead ring, but all that would do on mine is to make a .454 ball into a .451 oblate spheroid. :wink:

Hmm, then you might want to work on your grip, support, and trigger pulling techniques.

You could bore out the cylinders, but make sure that's necessary first. Some Pietta 1858's have cylinders that are actually undersized to the bore of the barrel. In that case, boring out the cylinders may be a good idea. Still, a gun with undersized cylinders can shoot plenty accurately.

Matchlock72 said:
Thanks guys that helps a lot. :thumbsup: I am already am embarrassment at the range with my non BP guns. I really can not hit the broad side of a barn with my 1858.

Try shooting it at 7 ft. Not being a samrt A## I once got a Remy 36 that I could not hit any thing with untill I moved the
traget in to about 7ft and found out the damn thing was shooting about a foot low! Once I filed the front sight down
It will hit minute of beer can at 50yards.

OK thanks, I ordered a front site and it should be here in 7 days. I will update you if I get good enough that a barn would have something to fear.

Pietta knows this so I wonder why their standard 58 doesnt have the same chambers as their more expensive shooters model. My shooters model Pietta chambers are even loose with a .457 ball.

It really needs a .460 ball to shave lead. Still they make the standard 58 with what .448 chambers?

Bob

P.S Meant to reply to someones else's reply :v

What exactly is the shooter's model? Is it a fancy model that they hand fit everything perfectly?

My guess would be that they haven't got enough complaints about the issue. Sure they know it exists, but it doesn't prevent people from shooting their guns, so they don't fix it.

Ask Mikhail Kalashnikov, loose torrence make for cheep and OK guns. They are not as accurate but you can make plenty cheep.

I bought a 29/64" (.453")reamer online from Wholesale Tool & have opened the chambers on all my .44's with it (using the Bridgeport mill). I also lightly chamfer the chamber mouths so they don't shave but swage the .457" balls. Seems to help. The ROA has about the same groove dia. & it's chambers are .452" +

I figure the average joe could care less that the chambers are undersized. Of all the Pietta pistols that Cabelas sells, how many do you think actually go to someone who would care about fine details like that, much less have the resources to fix it or the initiative to complain to Pietta?

Even I wouldn't care, so long as it shot accurately enough.

Back