• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone someone or a company who would make a custom stock for a T/C Renegade?

No the stock is fine. I haven't been able to shoot it yet. Just looking to get a custom piece of wood on it to make it look a little different.

Swampy said:
Hey Eric, hope you didn't break that stock already??

Track sells upgraded stocks T/Cs.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartList.aspx?catID=14&subID=153&styleID=632

Another, http://www.longrifles-pr.com/thompsoncenter.shtml[/quote]

I agree, Swampy. Hey Memphis1211, take a look at the things Pecatonica (lonrifles-pr.com) has to say about their stock for Renegades/Hawkens. That extra drop in the comb really improves their handling in my book, while also changing the looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed the issue in the drop with my hawken. I have not had a chance to shoot the renegade yet so I cannot say. Thanks for the information.

I think you would be foolish if you don't contact Pecatonica River and talk to Dick Greensides about what he can sell to you. He can replicate an exact T/C stock for you, or, put more drop in the stock- which seems to fit more people comfortably than the factory dimensions do. I suspect, but have never asked, that the different drop replicates the drop at comb found on the Lyman GPR. Those who shoot both guns seem to like the stock shape of the GPR better than the T/C's. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

To try to answer the question about drops I measured the distance from the top flat of the barrel to the front of the comb and the rear of the comb on my TC Hawken .54, my .50 cal TC Hawken restocked with a Pecatonica River replacement stock and my .50 cal. Great Plains Rifle.

These dimensions are were measured with my dial caliper and my eyeball. They are not exact but they are close.
Also I must mention that my .54 Hawken is a kit gun that I built and my GPR was modified somewhat by the previous owner so they may not represent the factory guns exactly.

TC .54 Hawken: 1.0" at front of comb, 2.3" at top of butt plate.

Pecatonica River TC Stock: 1.5" at front of comb, 3.0" at top of butt plate.

GPR: 1.7" at front of comb, 3.5" at top of butt plate.

Those measurements for the TC and Lyman sound in the realm, as measured by my cheekbone, Zonie. Thanks for the measures on the Pecatonica to supplement my decision-making. Now all I have to do is get around to the restocking project!

Thanks for all the information. I am not really experienced with inletting and finishing stocks. I am not sure I would wan't to spend the money for those stocks just to make a mistake on it and ruin it.

Memphis1211 said:
Thanks for all the information. I am not really experienced with inletting and finishing stocks. I am not sure I would wan't to spend the money for those stocks just to make a mistake on it and ruin it.
"Behold the turtle who never gets anywhere unless he sticks his neck out".

I'll second calling Doug at Pecatonica. For starters when you pull up a majority of supplier's website you'll see Pecatonica's ad verbage and pics. Second, Doug was extremely willing to help me, not just trying to sell me something. I simply wanted nice wood, more drop and LOP, so I could better tailor my Renegade to fit me.

To say the least I was impressed with their grading when I got this stock. Beautiful piece of striped maple. In talking with Doug I told him what I was trying to do, that this would be my first build(semi-build!)in awhile. He indicated that he had a Grade 3 stock ready that had a small defect, he would even discount it if I wanted to try it. I did. It's my first attempt in over 30 years, I'd prefer that it be an inexpensive one, with more to follow. Turns out the area in question will be removed by the buttplate inletting and even if it wasn't, at $125 delivered, I never said a word, no way I'd send that stock back. I could definitely live with it on a hunting rifle...just might of added a little character!

As far as fit on lock and hardware, yeh, I had to do a little inletting but far less than expected. There was a snafu with an incorrect barrel channel size. I ordered a 1", received a 15/16ths, but even considering the additional inletting to take it to 1", I pretty much had the barrel, lock, trigger and guard done in an afternoon. I would certainly recommend Pecatonica to anyone looking for a precarve.

I'm waiting for a buttplate and forend cap from Track so I can do the final shaping. They leave enough extra "meat" so you've got plenty to work with. I don't think I'm even gonna put a patch box on it. If I do it'll be a small, simply-engraved steel oval, aged to match the barrel and other hardware.

Its "Dick Greensides" who owns Pecatonica, not "Doug". I know you talked to Dick from just your comments on how he treated you over the phone. He's just as nice in person- he's at friendship for both the Spring and Fall shoots. I have often wondered how may shooters owe their interest in this sport, and the quality of their guns, to conversations they had with, and products they bought from Dick. He is most generous with his grading system on stocks- both blanks and pre-carved.

Mike Brines said:
Memphis1211 said:
"Behold the turtle who never gets anywhere unless he sticks his neck out".
"And behold the wise man who knows when not to stick his neck out"
:thumbsup:
I'll tear down and rebuild a car engine without hesitation and have it pop right off when its ready...but after 65 years on the planet I know myself...and I don't have the fine skills required for quality woodworking such as rifle building, and don't have the patience or time left to bother learning...too many other things I can be doing while one is being built
:grin:

:bow: Well sir, I'll have to laugh and bow to your firsthand knowledge...and I'll also have to pay more attention to my better-half's theory of "too many muzzle blasts" in these old ears as well! But in my defense I'll say that kindness and understanding must permeate the shop because the gentleman who answered my second call a few minutes after my original put me on hold momentarily when I asked for Doug and the next gentleman who picked up the phone neither faltered nor corrected me....
:idunno:
Whoever I talked to...Dick, Doug, Danny, Dufus... at Pecatonica was a great person to deal with! :grin:

Back