• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what are these guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Reading through newspapers of the 18th century I frequently come across terms I can't understand, many of them concerned with types of guns. Here are a couple of examples, see what you think of them:

THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAZETTE
Date: June 26, 1736
Charleston, South Carolina
He has to be sold a Silver hilted small Sword, two Silver Watches, a six times repeating Gun, a chamber'd Gun, and a double barrel Gun, &c. a pair of Smith's large double bellows, a new Anvil with a Beack-iron to it, sundry pair of large Vices, sortment of Files and many other tools, &c....

Six times repeating gun? Chambered gun?

The Pennsylvania Gazette
March 16, 1774
Philadelphia
THO: PALMER Gun Smith at his Shop, on the North Side of Market street, between Fourth and Fifth streets, hath for Sale, a Quantity of well made RIFLES , that he will dispose of very low for Cash. He likewise makes all Sorts of SHOT GUNS, such as straight Rifles , Cocking pieces, Fuzees, &c. in the best and neatest Manner, which hath gained the Approbation of some of the best Judges within the three Provinces.

SHOT GUNS, such as straight Rifles? Cocking pieces?

Any ideas what kind of guns any of these were?

Spence

A "six times repeating gun" may be what we today would call a "duck's foot" - a pistol with multiple barrels (I have seen flintlocks with 3 to 7 barrels with 4 seeming to be most common) that are designed to discharge simultaneously. A pocket "street sweeper". :idunno:

The repeater - a revolver, chamber gun- flint cartridge gun, straight rifled shotgun- gun designed for shooting shot but with straight rifling, double barrel- could be a French double or a turnover gun.

Besides the options already mentioned, there is a slight chance that the repeating gun might be a Kalthoff or a Lorenzoni (either might be mispelled) type of magazine repeater, or maybe one of those superimposed-charge guns with multiple locks or with a moving lock.

I support the probability of the chambered gun being a breech loader, wherein the chamber-pieces might have each been fitted with individual pans & batteries, or they might have just indexed with the pan & battery affixed to the gun. It would likely have been either a side-hinge like a Snider or a break-open. The side-hinge goes back to matchlock & wheellock days; dunno about the break-open, but I've definitely seen flinters.

Regards,
Joel

Latest posts

Back