• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Won a CVA Hawken on a Raffle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
At our muzzleloading club (Indian Creek Muzzleloaders) in NE Missouri and SE Iowa we had a big shoot in November near Bloomfield, IA. There was a raffle for a CVA .58 Hawken that was being raffled and I bought a ticket for it. At our shoot today I found out that I won it. The only problem is the guy who hosted the shoot lives 2 hours away. And he's not hosting the monthly shoot until April so I'll either wait until April or have to send him some money to ship it :shake:.

Only 2 hours ? That's a milk run in most parts of the country. :blah:

I know that, If I had won it, I'd be taillights down the road, getting it ASAP ! :slap:

:grin: :grin:

The thing I keep telling myself is I have several guns to shoot in the meantime and shouldn't get distracted from patterning my 12 gauge sxs I bought. I'm gonna try to bust a turkey this year black powder style :grin:.

The funny thing is that when I started my concept was I should get a decent rifle so I can hunt muzzleloader season with it. Then I started thinking I could maybe wait a year or two to get another one. But I bought one anyway because my first gun was JUNK. Then I decided I should have a flintlock, then I wanted a smoothbore to hunt small game, and now I decided to get a bigger smooth bore for turkey. I only get to hunt about 5 days of our 7 day season each year so I don't know how I'm going to balance time between my .54 flint, .50 Renegade, and now this .58 hawken. If this .58 shoots well for me and is reliable it may be my "starting" huntin rifle. :haha:

I hope you hang on to that ole Kentucky. Oil it up gud an hide it in the back of a closet for a few years.
You might just look on that thing with fondness as the years go by. You learned ALOT with that gun. :wink:
I hope you've read some of those "Your first Gun" stories, plenty of fellers wish they still had that ole JUNK gun they started with. :)

Nice win. :hatsoff:

A raffle ticket and shipping is still a dang good buy, or even the ticket and gas money to go pick it up.

Your new born child is calling you... :grin:

Since you don't seem to have the money for shipping I will pay to have it shipped! (to me of course) :hmm: :hmm: Seriously you have a gun worth waiting for!

You won it. Its his business to put it in your hands. Call him up and give him your shipping info. If he complains offer to pay a bit on the shipping. Larry Wv

Congratulations but I wouldn't wait to long, things like this have a habit of vaporizing! :shocked2:

I can envision the holder of the gun being asked how much he wants for it and him saying something like,
"That gun was won in a raffle about a month ago but he hasn't picked it up. I guess he isn't interested in having it.
How much are you offering?"

The way I figure it "2 hours" is about 100 miles driving distance. That doesn't seem to be too far to drive for a prize.

Oh your bad Zonie! :rotf:

I know it's different today but when I was 16 I would have wasted no time and jumped in my truck, drove up and got it.

Congrats on the rifle. :thumbsup:

Time's a wastin' and you're burning daylight. Dig into the butter and egg money, fill up the truck and make tracks. :grin:

I think I'll just call him and ask him to bring it to next month's shoot. We're a small black powder club of about 12 people that show up each month. It's not his fault that I live the farthest away compared to the other guys. The others aren't that far from him.

Lucas,

Use it in good health! :thumbsup:

But just to be sure, I'd call him and let him know that you'll be at the next Shoot and will pick it up then.

But then I might take a ride and pick it up for a tank or less of gas, especially if some warm weather was predicted days in advance......I could take it to the range and start enjoying it RIGHT NOW! :) :haha:

Either way, good shooting & hunting with it!

Dave

Call the guy at least once a day, just to make sure he doesn't get the idea you don't want your winnings. After a week or so of daily phone calls, he'll ask where you want it shipped. That's what I'd do, anyway. Sometimes being a PITA can be rewarding.

Congrats on your prize, BTW.

Congrats on the prize! Tell him you will meet him at another members place half way, he should be willing to do the drive if he is a decent person. Good smoke, Ron

Back