• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TRS French Pulverin Horn parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to contact TRS last Thursday and found they had one parts set left for this type of horn so I ordered it. It arrived today. Of course they are of TRS quality parts.

I'm a bit intimidated not having construction instructions. :haha: I think I have an idea of the placement of the spring/lever. The spout I'm not sure about, first glance, I would think it should be threaded so that it screwed to the top brass mount but there is also a lip on the spout that fits into the hole of the top brass mount which might mean it is ment to be soldered onto it??

Attaching the horn to the brass mounts looks like only the ears on each side of the mounts are used and with this, eye hooks are screwed into them?

The base measurements on the inside are 2 1/32" x 2 10/16". The top measurements on the inside are 1 1/2" x 1 13/16" for those interested.

trsfpulverin1.jpg

trsfpulverin2.jpg

trsfpulverin3.jpg

It would be helpfull to know what it was supposed to look like when together... Huh? :haha:

that would help huh? :rotf:
as far as I know (which isn't much I admit) a pulverin is pretty much a rum horn turned on its side... and for powder. (or something to that effect)

I found a horn I had bought off ebay about a year ago or so stuck in a box and as luck would have it, it just fit the bottom mount. Maybe slightly smaller than it should be. After heating the horn and fitting it to the mount it has just a slight gap on one side. Thats all I can do for the moment as the top parts went in the mail today for Roy to figure out. :haha: But it's a start.

fphorn1.jpg

fphorn2.jpg

fphorn3.jpg

fphorn4.jpg

looks like a good ammount of metal work ahead of you there, maybe you can anneal the brass and bend it arround the horn ever so slightly and set a pin thru the 2 lugs using a countersink on outter edge then hammering a pin thru and fill the countersunk area with the hammered pin.

just my 2 cents :hatsoff:

Figured you would be done by now! :idunno: :haha:
Looks like a good vise for small flat horns! :thumbsup:

Thats not going to work. The brass is way to thick to anneal and bend around the horn. Eye bolts or eye hooks whatever they are called go into those 4 tabs which hold the strap for the horn. They don't come with the parts and I guess it's up to you to find them at a hardware store.

I gotta admit, I'm curious to see if that gap will cause any issues later on in the build. I hope not for your sake! looking forward to seeing'er finished! :thumbsup:

or you can make them yourself........

Thats alot of work but could be enjoyable none the less!

I don't think so. I looked it over good and the horn is sitting on the brass all the way around. I was thinking of using a hide glue or barge glue as a sealant when I do get to the point of assembling it. It looks to me, I would need to find a horn with a circumference of 1/8" more than this horn. Not sure its worth the trouble. :idunno:

Back