• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

swamped barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can i find a swamped barrel for my next build. It will be my deer gun so it must be 50 cal or larger.I want about a 42 inch or longer.I found a rice 54 cal, 42 inches long in a c profile but it is listed on their website as 5.6 pounds. Is it worth the money for a rice over a gm?

One advantage of the Rice barrel over GM is that is comes with a breech plug already installed. They also have a reputation for installing the breech plug correctly. Rice also offers round bottom rifling which is supposed to make the barrel easier to clean without sacrificing accuracy. I think it is well worth the extra money. All of the Rice barrels that I have seen are polished like a mirror on the inside and don't require any break in period.

If you want to save a few bucks, buy one of their gunmakers specials. They aren't drawfiled and polished as much on the outside, but the inside is polished the same as their more expensive barrels. They only offer them in square-bottom rifling though.

If you buy a GM barrel, you'll have to buy a breech plus which is another $8-10 and then spend a couple of additional hours fitting it.

I like the Rice barrel over the GM, I don't think the GM barrel comes with round bottom rifling, which the Rice does (if you ask for it). You might want to check out Colerain allso, I think they make nice barrels. I would think a C weight barrel in 54 cal. 42" would make a nice rifle. Check out the barrel weights on Track o the Wolf. You might want to go with a 38" swamped barrel if weight is an issue. In my oppinion, you pretty much get what you pay for. flinch

the rice is all I use when I can get them and they have a 44inch barrel I think track of the wolf have them listed with a few of there kit guns the Beck I think has a 44 inch rice with it and Jim chabers has rice barrels with all of his kits 42 inch and some 44 inch

I just call up Rice Barrel Company and ask them what they have in stock. They've always had something pretty close or else they will make you one. It might take a couple of months before they do another run.

I dunno. Maybe I've just been lucky. Have you tried Barbie? http://www.buckeyebarrels.com/home.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
bowkill said:
rice barrels are hard to get.Find me one boys.Think tip will have one?

:confused: I seldom have a problem getting a Rice barrel..... But I do plan ahead..... Call Rice and ask them if they have what you want. If not maybe Buckeye Barrels will have one. Tip sells Colerain & Green Mtn.

Is the Rice worth the extra ? over the Grn. Mrn ? That is up to you. Rice = Premium barrel in all ways... Perfect breechplug fit... and round bottom rifled.

Green Mountain is a great barrel, you have to fit a breechplug, only straight cut rifling. They are extremely accurate tho.... Just depends on where you want your money to go.

Colerain barrel will shoot as well as any barrel for most people. Colerain will save you a few $ from the Rice, but not...the quality of the Rice barrel, inside, outside, or breechplug fit. The Colerain is round bottom rifled.

Depending on what you want, most ask me for a "B" weight in a 50 cal. to keep the rifle weight down.

If doing so, you must take caution on the underlug depth.

Keith Lisle

So far Im a Rice fan all the way. An I have not had any trouble getting them yet. but like keith said plan ahead. I order my barrel way ahead of when I want to start my build. :thumbsup:

i have had or built a rifle with most every barrel out there now. some barrels had 3-4. all as most all will say they all shoot well. just finished and started sighting in a green mountain swamp b w.t 50 that absolutly shoots better than any other swamp barrel i have had.benched it will touch holes at 50 yards. i seem to have good luck with green mountain. and almost always straight from start. other barrels i had to shoot and play alot with to get it all to come togather.

Latest posts

Back