• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington #11 caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I too think the Remington caps are the best. If I could only get one kind, I would hope it would be Remington. They are the most reliable to fire, I have found a few where the charge fell out, but not nearly as many as some have noted. If I were hunting with them, I would pre-inspect them to see they were ok. As for lack of reliability during wet weather, I have not had that problem, but again most of my shooting is on competition rather than hunting. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

I never would have thought of that. I do have the notch face to the muzzle. (TC Renegade) I'll open it up.

I think the Remington caps work better, because they fit tighter on the nipple. Maybe it's because they don't have the power of the CCI mag cap, and aren't being blown as hard into the hammer.

I tried just shooting the caps with no powder charge. The CCI stuck, and the Remington stayed on the nipple.

On C&B revolvers the hammer has a stop. I can adjust the clearance between the nipple and hammer. With the ML rifles the hammer is free to smash into the nipple with all it's force. Seems like an odd way to make it. :idunno:

When did they start making that cut in hammers? None of my originals past or present had them. I do remember my TC hawken had one but my dang caps still stuck to it! Wish I had known I would have filed it out, I though it was just there to make prying it out easier, ha! shows what I know LOL.

I really don't know. I have seen many old shotguns, dating to the post Civil War period, when we were still making MLers as Breechloaders were coming on the scene, that have the Hairlip cuts in the skirts. Some of the old guns might date back to the 1840s, from comments made by the owners, or sellers.

The old percussion rifles I have seen in collections also have that hairlip in the skirt, so I believe it was very common and done soon after the percussion system became available. I see this kind of thing done in the early Colt Revolvers, too, and Colt Got his first Patent on his "Paterson Revolver" in October, 1836.

I am going to have to check my original pepperbox "pistols", to see if the hairlip appears in those guns, some of which pre-date the Colt Revolvers.

Just checked the pepperboxes, and my reference books. None of them show a hairlip being used, and many of these guns were being made at the same time that Colt was struggling to get his revolvers accepted.

Allen and Thurber were not attempting to compete with COLT( who did not market short barreled revolvers at first) as much as to provide a cheap, small, multiple-shot pocket pistol. The 3,4,5 & 6 chamber pepperboxes were the most common, and barrel lengths were fairly short. They competed with the single shot pistols, like the Deringer use to Kill President Lincoln, rather than the long-barrel revolvers, in both price, and by providing more than one shot by pulling the trigger. These guns took a lot of time to LOAD, so that having to remove a stuck cap from a nipple was simply one more chore done to load the gun, or "reload" it.

Paul

The remington caps I started with just plain sucked back in the late 1990's when I got into muzzleloading. The green charge in them fell out, once when I was trying hard to shoot a nice doe. I switched to CCI, then I found a thousand of them on clearance for about 20.00. I have shot most of them and have one to fail on me yet. Or have the bright green paper cap fall out.

It just goes to show you how we can have different experiences.

I've had CCI caps fail me, but never a Remington. I go through 1000 caps in 3 months from shooting CAS.

Try the Remington caps that say 40% more power.

I used to use CCI and Remington and had a few miss fires with both. I will only shoot RWS 1075 now. I had some caps from Dixie a long time ago. They were hot and always fired, but the cup would never expand and I had to pry them off most of the time.

Back