• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BP revolver or BP single shot???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in Boston for 3 years when I was going to college. I'll see your :barf: and raise you a :cursing: !! Everyone thought I was some sort of criminal for owning "a gun". When they found out I owned a whole closet full, they acted like I was the Uni-Bomber!

Want some real fun? Try getting certified for cannon and mortar! :youcrazy: :idunno: :nono:

Why is it that this thread turned into a lets bash other states thread?

Massachusetts isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The big issue is if you live in a large city like Boston does it become a pain because the gun licensing system is determined by the local police.

Where I live if you have a clean record, pass a certified safety class you will be issued a Class A license to carry which allows you to carry concealed.

When it comes to black powder, you do not need any form of license to carry unless it is a handgun. Long arms are exempt. Cannons. No problem at all.

I have had the blessing of travel all over this great nation. I can say that although we have problems in the Bay State we do have some things to our benefit. This past hunting season I hunted on private land without having to pay a lease or trespass fee. One farm that Dad and I hunt costs us a fruit basket to the grand lady that owns it. I have not see than in other parts of our nation,for the most part. Right now we have a wonderful blanket of snow. I love the four seasons and the fact that I don't have to drink my air for most of the year.

I hope that this thread can be constructive for someone like Norfolk Shooter. Our black powder brothers in arms have to deal with more bureacracy than most of us and he has to do what he has to do in order to have some joy in life.

I do believe I will have another glass of wine and check the Ruger Old Army. I am in the mood to take a woods walk with it and a predator call on some land I drove by. No signs saying keep out or posted thus I can go on it. Tradition.

Back to your question concerning what to purchase ? :hmm: As was said by others a lot depends on what you intend to do with the gun? :idunno: I have had several repro. revolvers over the years including the ROA . For accy. and strength there is nothing on the market that comes close to its quality . At present I have a Colt Repro . made in Italy and find it as much fun to shoot as the much more expensive Ruger . I also have a single shot .50cal .Kentucky style that I often use for plinking . As I don"t shoot in formal competetions I"m not restricted as to cal. etc. I think if I were living in a country or area that restricts the type and number of guns you can purchase , I"d go for the revolver . :thumbsup:

.. jan 19 / 22:40 (-8gmt)

greetings norfolk shooter,

here's a suggestion: why not have both...!

if they would allow you to have a LeMat you end up with a 9 round revolver (in .454") and an underbarrel in 18g (appx .645") that is smooth bore and loads just like any other (wads + cards, etc) yet can flip between shot (.270") or prb (.640").

works for me...

good luck and let us know which way you decide.

:hatsoff: ~d~

I should point out that the LeMat reproductions from Italy are often lacking in quality.

I would suggest doing some serious research like using the Forums Search feature to find out what our members have noted about parts breaking or falling off before sinking any money into buying one.

Back to the OP...

Get into contact with the Muzzle Loading Association of GB. They have a very competitive pistol program.

The normal advice is to start with a percussion pistol, then branch out into flintlock or revolver. The Pedersoli LePage and Mang are good, the Feinwerkbau #1 better if you are willing to spend the money. Or a Hege-Siber, if you can find one.

guys out of all the statesim the worst off in the UK i cant even shoot a rabbit unless my license states pest control. only targets for me

norfolk shooter said:
guys out of all the statesim the worst off in the UK i cant even shoot a rabbit unless my license states pest control. only targets for me

Sir - give me a call - I live in the county to the left of you.

BTW - I second the advice to join the MLAGB.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Old Ford said:
Many new revolver shooters keep shooting their revolver, after it starts to seize up. Many target shooters prefer the Remington....the Remington is good but does seize up rather quickly, but it does not shoot loose as quickly as the Colt type.
If you do go the revolver type, be sure to get spare parts for the internal parts of the revolver.
Old Ford

Sir - last guest day visitors shot 300 RB through my Ruger Old Army - 26 years old next month - without cleaning it internally, and simply wiping over the outside. I have never experienced a single instance of it seizing up, either.

It has never had a single replacement part, and gets shot most weekends.

tac

Capper said:
I thought they shot CAS in England? That requires two revolvers.

So they do. But the OP is interested in target shooting.

tac

norfolk shooter said:
well the title says it all. in the UK you can only have one or the other from what the policeman told me and i need to inform him rather soon as to what one i would like.
any input would be good.

many thanks
norfolk shooter

This is a typical case of the local county 'sheriff' interpreting the law to suit his or her views on gun ownership. Here in Cambridgeshire the use of the description 'pistol' covers ALL kinds of BP handguns. Incidentally, I have three handguns - two BP and an LBR...and fifteen rifles [six centre-fire, two BP and seven .22LR].

Remember that the Colt revolver is described by the inventor as a 'revolving pistol'. Not that it will make the slightest difference to your local plod. What does your FEO have to say about it? Can't your fellow club-members offer any advice in that respect?

tac

Its a hard choice when you can only have 1 pistol. If you are just starting out, I would go with a single shot pistol. Less parts to break and to me they are more fun to shoot.
Lyman makes a nice plans pistol Google it and see what you think. I have one and I love it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dang...All you can do is as is ask yourself why you want it. If it's for competition shooting, then you gotta go with what fits the bill. But if it's for your own love of hands on history, then it's completely up to you. Which appeals to you, more? The act of firing your shot, then going through the act of reloading step by step what you enjoy? Or does "click BOOM, click BOOM, click BOOM, click BOOM, click BOOM" float your boat, more? Maybe you can play the game..."If you were stranded on a desert island..." and replace famous actresses with historical fire arms.

Happy hunting,
Tim

well i got my cert through the post today and off i went to the gun shop. got a nice pedersoli charles moore, got it home cleaned it good and it sure looks nice. cant wait to shoot it.

I think you made a great choice, that is a fine pistol. I enjoy shooting my single shot much more than my revolver but it is nice to have both.

need to get my hands on some patches first. the gun shop i went to didnt have the right thickness. i think "0.015 might do the trick

Back