• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli 12 ga. to BROWN BEAR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahhntnful

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just put a mic to my pedersoli it mics out to 21/32 " or as close to as I could figure .6572 it says 12 ga.on the barrel, what dia . wads would I use????

Should I go to Track of the wolf to purchase?

Whoa! That must be a full choke or something. I don't recall if it has fixed or removable chokes, but as a true bore measure, that's more like 16 gauge. I'd just go to Track of the Wolf and buy wads to fit the bore, without regard for whatever is stamped on the barrels.

Track may tell ya to try 13 ga. wads for that Pedersoli. Does it have screw-in chokes or is it the older model? Those numbers seem a little tight. Let the guys at Track know--They're great and will be glad to help!

Dave

No screw in chokes (I wish) I will for surley check my measurements again, I did check both tubes both the same .6562 I have some circle fly fiber wads that say 12 ga. and when I try to put one down it will usually split into 2-3 pieces because it is so tight,didn't have a top quality mic to work with.
I thought if I call TOTW and give them my serial# they may be able to tell me what it really is.

Thanks for all your help and input.

UTAHNTNFUL

Boy, that's a real mystery. I'd reconfirm with a better micrometer, but I'd also use a jag and some patching to "explore" the bore to see if it is in fact choked.

I'm aware of some past issues with fixed modified and improved cylinder, and maybe full and mod. But I'm flummoxed by the fact that your bores are both the same.

My pedersoli double mics at .729 for both barrels.
But for undersized bores my Brown Bess carbine says its .75cal but the bore mics at .729. my double has cylinder bores.

Greg Dixon had to "turn-down" a jag he pinned onto a hickory Range Rod he built for me to use with my 10 ga. double that I use for birds. The right side is Cylinder Bore and the left side is just a little tighter--just tight enough to require the grinding wheel to take some meat off of the jag so I could use it in the left side of the gun with a single cleaning/spit patch :hmm: .

I too have never heard of the two barrels being the same. The "jag test" worked for me, so maybe the OP could make use of that instead of trying to read bad calipers.

As far as screw-in chokes goes: having to deal with unscrewing the choke tubes just to reload the shot gun seems like too much work for me. I'm GLAD that I have the older gun that doesn't have choke tubes! I just use a little extra shot to make the wider cylinder bore pattern a little denser with the extra shot. 1 3/4 oz. of 7.5 smacks the pheasants pretty good!

That 12 ga. will probably wind-up taking 13 ga. supplies if it's choked like mine.

Dave

You bet, but all I've handled and shot were either IC/M or IC/C. If those bores are identical and choked, it sounds as though they are even tighter than F! I'd sure hate to try pushing a 12 gauge fiber wad down them, in any case!

That makes sense to me, and it's why I've been experimenting with "shot cups" of ticking, more or less elongated patches to contain the shot in the bore. I know of no historic precedent for the practice, but it's simple and quick for me. It would easily overcome chokes, if I ever get a gun that's choked rather than cylinder, too.

I finally went and bought a new mic. It's even has a fancy digital readout.
I rechecked both barrels and I came out with .692,
not sure what choke that works out to be, looking at track of the wolfs wad chart says to use a 14ga. wad of .703 dia.
Any body out there that would use any different please feel free to let me know.
Thanks for all the great input from all :bow: utahhntnful

14 gauge is nominally .693" in diameter. Track of the Wolf indicates that the wads they sell are intentially made .010" larger in diameter than nominal bore diameter. So, you should be able to use a 14 gauge wad, provide its not too thick(Long in length.) If this is a barrel that is choke, you will need to determine the diameter of the bore BEHIND the choked muzzle. Use old fashion calipers to reach back in the barrel for this measurement. When the spring loaded caliper is removed from the barrel, you use an Inside caliper- your digital set is one kind-- to measure the distance between the two arms of the other,older style. Or, use a micrometer for this kind of work.

For muzzle choked barrels, consider using ONLY Over Shot Cards( OS Cards), because you can turn them sideways, and fold them a bit to fit through the choke. Then turn them 90 degrees, and run them down the barrel. Use 3-4 cards in lieu of an Over Powder wad( OP wad), and one or two on top of the shot. Poke an off-center hole in the cards with an awl, or sharp nail, to let air vent Thru the cards- and not bend an edge of the cards. The Edges are there to seal gases, and bending them defeats their purpose. You can run a greased cleaning patch down the barrel on top of the OS card, to lube the bore in front of the load. That will prevent rusting in the field, between shots, and will soften the fouling, as well as protect the bore from lead streaks.

I finally took the Pedersoli to a REAL machine shop and had it micd .720 & .725. 3" down.inside ea.
Both barrels .692 on the ends, would that be a F.C.? what cardboard patch etc. would ya use?
utahhntnful

Last edited by a moderator:
30 thousandths of constriction is normally what you would consider to be FULL Choke.

If you order up 12 gauge OS cards( made from shirtback) these come thin enough that you can bend them a bit- into a "U" without folding them, or kinking them. That way they can be pushed down through the full choke. Once past the choke taper, you can use a ramrod or loading road to straighten the cards square to the bore, and run them down onto the powder.

Put an off-center hole in the OS cards, to let air escape thru the hole, and not bust the edges of the cards. Use 304 cards over the POWDER, in lieu of OP wad. Then pour down your load of shot, and hold the shot in place with one or two OS cards. If you shoot a DBL shotgun, the second barrel shot load can shift forward in recoil, if you only use ONE OS CARD. That is why using 2 cards insures that the load will not move, reducing gas pressure, or the card move so far forward it becomes a "BORE OBSTRUCTION" so that your load of shot actually damages the bore of your barrel. Simply DON'T align the holes to each other, so that while air can pass through the cards as you are loading them, no Shot-no matter how small can escape out the OS cards. Cards and other wads are used to provide a GAS SEAL. The Edges of these materials are very important, and must be preserved to do that job. If you cut, or kink or turn an edge by mishandling the card or wad during loading( like ramming a 12 gauge wad down a full choke barrel) you lose that seal, and you won't get the pattern you sought.

I learned all these mistakes the hard way- by making them, one time or another over a life time of trying to get things done when I had no one to ask, and no one to guide me. The memories stick with you, but there has to be an easier way to be a student. :surrender: :hatsoff:

utahhntnful said:
I finally took the Pedersoli to a REAL machine shop and had it micd .720 & .725. 3" down.inside ea.
Both barrels .692 on the ends, would that be a F.C.? what cardboard patch etc. would ya use?
utahhntnful

This is making a lot more sense now.

Me? Being experimental by nature I'd be inclined to try a lubed felt wad over the powder to avoid issues of getting past the chokes. Follow that with a lubed ticking "shot cup" which will also get past the chokes easy. Then I'd use a conventional overshot card on top. That adds up to only the one card to struggle with, rather than lots.

I don't have a full choked gun around, and I guess I'm designating you as chief tester. :wink: I'm real curious about the ticking shot cups in a full choke. They're sure easy enough to seat, and just might do a dandy job of protecting the shot from the bore on their rapid transit back toward daylight. No sense making anything harder if the easy way works out fine.

If that doesn't work, then it's time for some more committee head scratching! :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
In my old choked 10g Pedersoli I would just stuff three or four OS cards down sideways and let the rammer turn them pretty much how Paul described :thumbsup:

B.

Back