• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

carbine for gallery shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolk shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
once again the title says it all. what are the veiws on the use of a carbine at say a 25-50 yard range for taget shooting?? its a 45cal patch and ball if that helps.

many thanks

Go for it.

In spite of any differences from bigger guns or hotter loads, you'll still be training your body for shooting. That's more important than any other ballistic or construction detail in my book. Heck, I do most of my "muzzleloader" shooting with an air rifle. I can guarantee you that 10 or 20 shots a night in my living room has more effect than weekly trips to the range.

If your "gallery" lets you shoot the gun more often, that's the key.

the 25 yard range is indoors and the 50 is outside. at the club we have a fan system that gets rid of the smoke but me and another chap that shoot there never bother with it as we love that smell. as for getting in some shots i can shoot most evenings and sunday morning on the outdoor

I shoot my 50 cal TC white mtn carbine at the local indoor range in winter. They have a very efficient ventilation system. Winter is too cold for outdoor range sessions in my neighborhood. At 25 yards it is easy to see the holes from a 50 cal. :thumbsup:

I always liked the looks of the "buggy rifle" that Ned Roberts has in his book. Somewhere I have seen pictures of a "palor rifle" but can't find them. A take down buggy rifle is on the list of "to do" someday.

The Traditions Deer Hunter flintlock would fill the bill nicely. Short, very light weight, loads easy, sparky as a beach party camp fire.

I like that "Sparky as a beach party campfire" It's going to be a while before there is any beach party camp fires in my neighborhood. Had my mind set on a takedown, guess a guy could build a takedown flinter don't know that I ever saw one but I bet it wouldn't be the first I'm sure that there is one out there somewhere.

Back