• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Comparision of black powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulvallandigham

Passed On
Reaction score
Here's an interesting comparison of Goex, KIK, and Elephant powders. Its a fairly limited test, with only a few guns, and a few shots each to establish some figures, but all the guns were tested identically.

Screening the powders to rid them of "fines", and making the granules a more uniform size will change the velocity( usually improve it), and make the powder burn more cleanly, for instance. And, we all understand that different guns have different bore and groove dimensions, so adjusting powder charges up or down can produce the same MV with one powder as with another powder, in another gun.

But, this is an interesting read. :hatsoff:
http://www.norwestcompany.com/comparison.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never observed this prevalence of fines that you speak of. I shoot mainly Goex, Swiss, Graf and Scheutzen. Just don't see the problem.

Here is ALOT of reading on powder testing: http://www.laflinandrand.com/page3.htm

Over on the Cast Boolits forum there is a guy named Old Ironsites who did some testing in separating "fines"

I will post what he found back in 06 here:

2 important things:

#1: Using a "standard" granulation & moisture content, classicly manufactured 2F BP will throw Volume & Weight equivelents. Actually the "Volume" you are measuring is not a real volume at all, but the volume of that idealized powder.

#2: Sift/Screen your powder. Your volume of BP may be almost 80% smaller granulation than you expect, and therefore burn faster.

Here is a bit of research I did:

I recently ordered mixed powder from Powder Inc. I received one pound each of Goex, Goex Express, Swiss and KIK in 3F. (I also will be receiving one lb of Graf 3F, which will be added to the test as soon as I get it.)

My first question was: “How consistent is the granulation in a pound of powder?”

To analyze this, I sifted each pound of 3F with a 3F Master Screen from CalGraf (http://www.cal-graf.com/screen.html).

Before screening, I tumbled each can lightly and poured off 1 oz of powder for later velocity testing. I then double-sifted each pound and weighed the results on a standard Palouze Spring-type postal scale. All 5 brands of powder had more than 16oz net wt of powder in the can.

SWISS powder yielded 11.3 oz of 3F and 4.0 oz of 4F & Fines. (11.3+4.0+1 = 16.3oz)

Goex Express yielded 9.3 oz of 3F, 7.3 oz of 4F/ Fines. (9.3+7.3+1 = 17.5oz !!!)

KIK yielded 7.3 oz 3F, 9.0 oz 4F/Fines (7.3+9.0+1 = 17.3oz !!!)

Goex (Red can) yielded 4.9 oz 3F and 10.7 oz 4F/Fines !!! (4.9+10.7+1 = 16.6oz)

Graf/Schutzen: 7.7 oz 3F, 8.0 oz 4F/Fines (7.7+8+1=16.7)

That puts Graf between Goex Express and KIK for qty 3F/lb.

Graf is, if anything, MORE "dusty" than KIK. Sifting produced quite noticable clouds of fine dust.

Shooting (TC Firestorm Flintlock)

Using 50gr loads 3F, no powder was appreciably more fouling/dirty than another. Goex Red Can had the strongest Sulfer smell.

Sifting brought both velocities and average deviations down.

Velocity & Deviation:

Using 5-shot strings, and cleaning between strings, I saw the following:

Swiss, Unsifted: AvVel: 1471.2 AvDev 21.20fps
Swiss, --Sifted: AvVel: 1412.0 AvDev 20.64fps
Express, Unsifted: AvVel: 1443.2 AvDev 53.80fps
Express, --Sifted: AvVel: 1337.6 AvDev 35.00fps
KIK, Unsifted: AvVel: 1423.2 AvDev 52.00fps
KIK, --Sifted: AvVel: 1310.4 AvDev 20.32fps
Goex Red, Unsifted: AvVel: 1427.0 AvDev 32.80fps
------------------------------------------------
(I wasn't able to finish before the range closed. Gotta get there earlier Next time
------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul do you know anything about wano powder Is there any comparison to other powders . That's what I am shooting today

Wano makes Shuetzen and Graf's powders. The few times I used it, I could not tell the difference between it and GOEX. Power and fouling seemed to be the same.

Swiss is the most consistent in size, and Goex was the worst. That didn't seem to matter much in performance. :hmm:

That was quite a read but tells me a lot about the powder I can't get it anymore but don't mine using GOEX at all, may try SWISS also. Thank you for that site :thumbsup:

NO. I have never bought it nor shot it. I am still trying to find someone myself who has first hand experience with it. What has been written here on the forum is what I have seen and heard, second hand. I have not seen a side-by-side comparison test on Wano and Goex, tho'. Sorry I can't help you. :idunno: :thumbsup:

Back