• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dyeing Barbour's Pure Flax Sinew

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cannot seem to find Barbour's in 1# spools that is brown in color. Only black and neutral.
Two questions:
1. Can anyone suggest a source for large spools of brown?
2. Has anyone tried dyeing neutral colored thread, and if so, with what?
:surrender:

If you are referring to Barbour flax linen stitching cord it is a natural fiber and will take leather dye easily .

Oregon Leather has the big spools of neutral in right and left twist and 5 cord for saddle stitching .

As noted Barbour's is easy to dye using leather dye or RIT - I use leather dye and just soak the whole role in the dye for about 5 minutes or pull off a length dye and let dry. Once down into the roll if it starts to fade just re-dye.

Nice link Wick but man that is expensive! You get a 100 yds of 4 cord for $12.95 while with Barbours you get 1354 yards of the same for about $50.00 - that would be a bout $175.00 bucks to equal the same amount as the Babrbours......

Cutfingers, I ain't bought colored thread in 20 yrs.
What Labonte said on the leather dye works real well.
Ron

Wow! I can't imagine using a 1 pound spool of thread. I found some on ebay that seemed to fill the bill for me, not cheap, but much better than Tandy's prices. A 1 ounce spool of 4 strand, approx. 70 yards, was $7.50. I got some in a light tan color (natural) and some white. You can go direct to www.turtlefeathers.net for colors and pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back